+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Newfoundland international graduate pnp

pxc3110

Star Member
Sep 25, 2020
Website link: https://www.gov.nl.ca/immigration/immigrating-to-newfoundland-and-labrador/provincial-nominee-program/applicants/international-graduate/. The eligibility criteria states that if an international graduate works in a field unrelated to their study, the position they work for must require a post-secondary degree/diploma. I graduated from Memorial University of Newfoundland with a bachelor math degree, but I want to work as a pca/psw(personal care attendant/personal support worker) but I notice that some job posts don't require a certificate and some others do. Does that mean that I wont qualify for pnp if I take a pca position that doesn't require a certificate unless I take a position that does? Or will I qualify as long as the position typically require one? btw what's the definition of a post-secondary degree/diploma? Does a cpr certificate count? Thank you for your help.

Last edited:

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
The eligibility criteria states that if an international graduate works in a field unrelated to their study, the position they work for must require a post-secondary degree/diploma. I want to work as a pca/psw(personal care attendant/personal support worker) but I notice that some job posts don't require a certificate and some others do. Does that mean that I wont qualify for pnp if I take a pca position that doesn't require a certificate unless I take a position that does? Or will I qualify as long as the position typically require one? btw what's the definition of a post-secondary degree/diploma? Does a cpr certificate count? Thank you for your help.
What province? Most PNPs require that you study in Canada and get a job in your field of study to be eligible. That is why you came to Canada to study in a field that you will have a career in. Eg. Take a computer science degree and then get a job in the IT field. So you want a PSW diploma and get a job in the field. Job posting not requiring certification is not relevant unless a licensed position. A degree or diploma is a program taken at a college or university. CPR is not a diploma. It is a weekend course taken by anyone with no admission criteria.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
The eligibility criteria states that if an international graduate works in a field unrelated to their study, the position they work for must require a post-secondary degree/diploma. I want to work as a pca/psw(personal care attendant/personal support worker) but I notice that some job posts don't require a certificate and some others do. Does that mean that I wont qualify for pnp if I take a pca position that doesn't require a certificate unless I take a position that does? Or will I qualify as long as the position typically require one? btw what's the definition of a post-secondary degree/diploma? Does a cpr certificate count? Thank you for your help.
- A CPR certificate won't count and is not a post-secondary degree/diploma. It needs to be an actual full time program that is at least 8 months in length at a college (make sure you stick with public colleges).
- To answer the rest of your questions, can you explain which PNP program you're looking at? Which province?

pxc3110

Star Member
Sep 25, 2020
What province? Most PNPs require that you study in Canada and get a job in your field of study to be eligible. That is why you came to Canada to study in a field that you will have a career in. Eg. Take a computer science degree and then get a job in the IT field. So you want a PSW diploma and get a job in the field. Job posting not requiring certification is not relevant unless a licensed position. A degree or diploma is a program taken at a college or university. CPR is not a diploma. It is a weekend course taken by anyone with no admission criteria.
Hi, I updated my post and included more info, thanks for your help.

pxc3110

Star Member
Sep 25, 2020
- A CPR certificate won't count and is not a post-secondary degree/diploma. It needs to be an actual full time program that is at least 8 months in length at a college (make sure you stick with public colleges).
- To answer the rest of your questions, can you explain which PNP program you're looking at? Which province?
Hi, I updated my post and included more info, thanks for your help.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Website link: https://www.gov.nl.ca/immigration/immigrating-to-newfoundland-and-labrador/provincial-nominee-program/applicants/international-graduate/. The eligibility criteria states that if an international graduate works in a field unrelated to their study, the position they work for must require a post-secondary degree/diploma. I want to work as a pca/psw(personal care attendant/personal support worker) but I notice that some job posts don't require a certificate and some others do. Does that mean that I wont qualify for pnp if I take a pca position that doesn't require a certificate unless I take a position that does? Or will I qualify as long as the position typically require one? btw what's the definition of a post-secondary degree/diploma? Does a cpr certificate count? Thank you for your help.
Did you complete your studies in NFLD and are on a PGWP?
  • If the applicant completed their studies at a recognized public post-secondary institution outside of Newfoundland and Labrador, their job or job offer must be directly related to the field of study. Out-of-province graduates must work for a minimum of one year in Newfoundland and Labrador prior to submission of an NLPNP application.
If not, your job offer must relate to your field of study. So you have to have a PSW diploma to be eligible, AND have worked one year in NFLD in your job before you can apply.

pxc3110

Star Member
Sep 25, 2020
Hi, I graduated from MUN with a math degree but want to work there as a pca.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, I graduated from MUN with a math degree but want to work there as a pca.
Please give your full profile. When does your PGWP expire? A personal care attendant (PSA) is not a PSW. Two different NOCs with different education.

Applicants are permitted to hold a position that is not directly related to their field of study provided the applicant is a graduate of Memorial University or College of the North Atlantic and the applicant’s position meets all of the following criteria:

1. Requires a post-secondary degree or diploma;
  2. Corresponds to National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill level 0, A, B or C (In-Demand Occupations only for NOC C);
  3. Can reasonably be expected to lead to career advancement for the applicant;
  4. Is in a field in which the applicant has a recent (i.e. in the last 5 years) combination of skill, experience and/or training, according to the NOC description, as defined by Employment and Social Development Canada:
  5. Is full-time for at least one year, with the possibility of extension.
Do you meet the criteria? How much experience to you have in the field?

pxc3110

Star Member
Sep 25, 2020
Please give your full profile. When does your PGWP expire? A personal care attendant (PSA) is not a PSW. Two different NOCs with different education.

Applicants are permitted to hold a position that is not directly related to their field of study provided the applicant is a graduate of Memorial University or College of the North Atlantic and the applicant’s position meets all of the following criteria:

1. Requires a post-secondary degree or diploma;
  2. Corresponds to National Occupational Classification (NOC) skill level 0, A, B or C (In-Demand Occupations only for NOC C);
  3. Can reasonably be expected to lead to career advancement for the applicant;
  4. Is in a field in which the applicant has a recent (i.e. in the last 5 years) combination of skill, experience and/or training, according to the NOC description, as defined by Employment and Social Development Canada:
  5. Is full-time for at least one year, with the possibility of extension.
Do you meet the criteria? How much experience to you have in the field?
pgwp expires in Oct 11 2023 and can be extended for another 2 months. What are the NOCs of pca and psw?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
both pca and psw's responsibilities match 3413, don't trust google on this one.
Are you going to be working in an individual's home or in a hospital / care facility?

If the latter, then the right NOC should be 3413. The way you confirm that is by comparing the duties of your actual job description to those associated with the NOC.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
both pca and psw's responsibilities match 3413, don't trust google on this one.
Didn't tell you to use google. Use the NOC database. Two different NOCs. NOC 3413 is a PCA. PSW is NOC 4412. PCA works under a nurse. PSW is a caregiver to the patient. Who is your employer? What does your employment letter state for job duties? Or is this all hypothetical?

Last edited: