+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

newbie questions :)

oceans_end

Star Member
Dec 16, 2009
gathering documents to sponsor my wife for PR, couple of questions

1. for documents photocopies are there guidelines we have to follow like does it have to be in black/white or coloured, or such? the ones I have photo copied so far are in colour, and the background is light grey-ish not exactly white(don't know whats wrong with my photocopier) is this going to be a problem?

2. how much does income impact in terms of eligiblitiy to be a sponsor? it ask for the tax summary from previous years, but I was in school and had almost 0 income for 2008, I just graduated in Aug 09 and started a full time job in Sept. What are some of the important factors they look for to qualify for a sponsor?

3. if we apply outland, and cannot make a interview(wife 5month pregnant), does it automatically disqualify us? and we have to start all over again? my wife is chinese and 5month pregnant, although outland is faster, should we go inland since she won't have to travel for the interview? anyone know the % ratio for interviews when applying outland vs inland?

also for inland form IMM5002 pg 2 it says
"MY FAMILY MEMBERS IN CANADA" says to include your spouse

but it also says after

DO not include your sponsor and family members who are :Canadian citizens

should she put my(husband/sponsor) information on it or not?

also for the next page pg 3 IMM5002
says to include all family members living outside of Canada, does that mean my wife have to list every single person in her family in China(father/monther/cousins/uncle/aunt?

thanks!

PS: is there a support group for us doing this in Ottawa or on facebook or something? complicated stuff :p

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Since she is pregnant, I think you are better off doing inland. To try to avoid an interview, make sure your application is bulletproof with quality proof of how you got to know each other and your relationship. The most common reason for an interview is doubt of relationship.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
I suggest you print out the application and read it a few times. This will simplify what is a daunting experience: absorbing all the important details.

Re your question 1., no there are no guidelines. But follow closely the photo specifications sheet for photos of you and your spouse.

2. No income minimum for a husband-sponsor, but CIC asks for income details anyway. Get a letter stating income from your employer. You cannot sponsor even a spouse if you are on welfare (I believe this is correct), so get the CRA statement that CIC asks for to show this.

Factors: Is the marriage legitimate, and do you intend to reside in Canada. If you already work in Ottawa, end of that issue. So, legitimacy of the marriage is the main issue: how long did you know each other, were there witnesses to the various stages of the relationship (engagement, wedding, first fight LOL, etc.).

3. I am guessing that the ratio of interviews to applications varies from visa office to office, and even from visa officer to officer.

IMM5002, I had the same confusion. Is the “spouse” referred to a former spouse, not the actual husband (in your case)? In that case, why not say “ex spouse”? I put myself in to be safe, even though I suspect I should not have. Better to err on the side of too much data.

Family is the immediate family: you, your wife, any children, not parents.