+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New to Canada - First time tax filing

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
Hello Everyone,

I need some answers as I am still new to taxing system in Canada.

I landed in Canada on a work permit in the month of Nov 2014. I have been in a job since then. I got T4 in the month of Feb 2015. Then, I tried to register an account in CRA but failed.
It gave me the below error once I gave my SIN number(it didn't even give me the option to enter DOB, postal code etc.,)

Error—ERR.062
We cannot proceed with your request.

To use this online service, you will need:

your social insurance number;
your date of birth;
your current postal code or ZIP code and;
an amount you entered on your income tax and benefit return, from one of the previous two tax years.

Later, I got to know that I can't login as I am filing my tax returns for the first time in Canada and some tools should be used to file the application.
So I used "StudioTax 2014" tool to file. When I tried to transmit the information it said the information doesn't match with what ever they have in database and gave me the error transmission failed. I called the CRA customer care and they informed me to mail the copy to their center and I did the same couple of weeks back.

Questions -
1. When will I be able to register CRA account? How much time does it take to register after I send my details by mail for the first time?
2. Will I be able to file the application from CRA account from next yr? What are all the other benefits by filing from CRA, if any?
3. After filing the application by mail, when will I get refund amount?

Above questions might be some basic questions but help me as I am doing it from first time.

GPSiConsultant

Feb 25, 2015
Hi,

1. You won't be able to register for CRA online services until after you receive your first Notice of Assessment.

2. You will be able to netfile after your first tax return is assessed, and provided you aren't changing your address or banking information. You are unable to update that information with netfile, only with e-file, which is the version of filing done by a tax professional.

3. If you paper file your tax return, since it is your first tax return filed in Canada, it gets processed by the International tax center in Ottawa. Because of that, it could take anywhere between 6 weeks and 6 months for them to process your first tax return. It all varies.

Intocanada

Mar 18, 2014
Thank you GPSiConsultant,
You deserve +1, Thanks for helping.

If I understand correctly NOA is the acknowledgement of the tax filing. Am I right?

So for sure I will be able to file the returns from CRA login next yr onwards?