+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PR, travel with stamped CoPR before PR card

HypnoFunk

Jan 31, 2016
Hi all,

Today (Dec 12th, 2017) I became a permanent resident by making an appointment at an office in Ottawa. I'm a UK citizen with a British passport. I will be traveling to the UK for Christmas on Dec 12th, and return on Dec 30th. I have booked a return flight from Ottawa to London (YOW - LHR). My PR card will not arrive before I travel, and given the Christmas period and short visit I will not be able to get a travel document whilst in the UK. Will I be able to return and board my flight to Canada on Dec 30th with just my signed CoPR and permanent resident stamp in my passport?

I previously had a work permit in Canada which was due to expire March 31st, 2018. This is now nullified now that I am a PR, but I believe an eTA was attached to this permit. I mentioned my travel plans to the immigration officer and he said he wouldn't cancel the eTA.

Do people think I will be able to return to Canada if I explain my situation and provide my CoPR at the airport in the UK? Will my eTA still be valid?

Thanks all for your time.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi all,

Today (Dec 12th, 2017) I became a permanent resident by making an appointment at an office in Ottawa. I'm a UK citizen with a British passport. I will be traveling to the UK for Christmas on Dec 12th, and return on Dec 30th. I have booked a return flight from Ottawa to London (YOW - LHR). My PR card will not arrive before I travel, and given the Christmas period and short visit I will not be able to get a travel document whilst in the UK. Will I be able to return and board my flight to Canada on Dec 30th with just my signed CoPR and permanent resident stamp in my passport?

I previously had a work permit in Canada which was due to expire March 31st, 2018. This is now nullified now that I am a PR, but I believe an eTA was attached to this permit. I mentioned my travel plans to the immigration officer and he said he wouldn't cancel the eTA.

Do people think I will be able to return to Canada if I explain my situation and provide my CoPR at the airport in the UK? Will my eTA still be valid?

Thanks all for your time.
1. It is unlikely the airline will let you board as you have neither a PR Card nor PRTD. As a PR you are not eligible for an ETA.
2. It is possible that your ETA wasn't cancelled, but I would check. http://tinyurl.com/yb6aw39w I wouldn't put all my hopes on that it wasn't cancelled.
3. Should probably count on getting a PRTD through the VAC in London.

HypnoFunk

Jan 31, 2016
Hi

1. It is unlikely the airline will let you board as you have neither a PR Card nor PRTD. As a PR you are not eligible for an ETA.
2. It is possible that your ETA wasn't cancelled, but I would check. [LINK] I wouldn't put all my hopes on that it wasn't cancelled.
3. Should probably count on getting a PRTD through the VAC in London.
Thanks PMM for your reply. This is what I had gathered from other threads and looking online. The other option would be to reschedule my flight to the US and drive across the border in a rental vehicle with my UK passport and CoPR stamped by an immigration officer. Would this work?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks PMM for your reply. This is what I had gathered from other threads and looking online. The other option would be to reschedule my flight to the US and drive across the border in a rental vehicle with my UK passport and CoPR stamped by an immigration officer. Would this work?
Yes, you could do that.

ih01

Star Member
Jan 5, 2020
@PMM what did you end up doing in this situation? I may have a similar situation soon due to the extended timelines for PR card processing. Thanks!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
im in the same situation.. any of you did it?
You need a valid PRTD or valid PR card to board a plane. The COPR cannot be used as a travel document and won't be accepted.

Reactions: YVR123

CatB

Star Member
Jul 23, 2021
You need a valid PRTD or valid PR card to board a plane. The COPR cannot be used as a travel document and won't be accepted.
but they say Valid COPR are accepted to travel to canada as june 2021.. that's why I am confused. I called the canadian borders, 5 different times, 5 different officers told me I can use my COPR.. i'm confused because a lot of people tell me I need the travel document..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
but they say Valid COPR are accepted to travel to canada as june 2021.. that's why I am confused. I called the canadian borders, 5 different times, 5 different officers told me I can use my COPR.. i'm confused because a lot of people tell me I need the travel document..
That's only for people who are landing for the first time to become PRs and are traveling from outside of Canada.

Based on your previous posts, you have already landed and become a PR and are waiting for your PR card to be received. If that's right, you can't use your COPR to board a flight and return to Canada. You need either your PR card or a PR Travel Document.

Reactions: CatB

CatB

Star Member
Jul 23, 2021
That's only for people who are landing for the first time to become PRs and are traveling from outside of Canada.

Based on your previous posts, you have already landed and become a PR and are waiting for your PR card to be received. If that's right, you can't use your COPR to board a flight and return to Canada. You need either your PR card or a PR Travel Document.
yes that's my case!
thank you for your time replying to me.
I guess then the problem is more with the boarding than with the borders..

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
yes that's my case!
thank you for your time replying to me.
I guess then the problem is more with the boarding than with the borders..
That's right. The airline will not let you board.

Reactions: CatB