+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PR- No driver license - been away from Ontario for a year - how to get OHIP?

dondraper1996

Feb 24, 2021
Hello,
I left Canada this May and received my PR card in a foreign country.
Once I return to Canada, the first thing I plan to do is to get vaccinated(no ohip required), then get myself an OHIP.
What is the fastest route to getting the OHIP WITHOUT a DRIVER LICENSE AND WITHOUT EMPLOYMENT and Do I have to wait for 3 months?
This is what I have in mind:
get an ontario photo ID card first, then use the photo ID card, passport and my credit card to apply for OHIP -> WAIT for 3 months?
Is this the way for someone who does NOT have a driver license?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I am staying at my relative's place. No driver license no employment..
Do I have to rent a place and get the lease document to apply for OHIP once I return to CANADA?
If your relatives are renting, they can add you to their lease.

If not, I suggest you look at the Ontario sites for what you will need to show physical residence. There are several options. A lease with relatives (if they own) may work, but you need to look for specifics that work for you. Some bills such as house insurance may also work, I believe they will need to be things mailed to you.

FYI, I believe the requirements for an Ontario photo card and OHIP are basically the same in this regard.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
Hello,
I left Canada this May and received my PR card in a foreign country.
Once I return to Canada, the first thing I plan to do is to get vaccinated(no ohip required), then get myself an OHIP.
What is the fastest route to getting the OHIP WITHOUT a DRIVER LICENSE AND WITHOUT EMPLOYMENT and Do I have to wait for 3 months?
This is what I have in mind:
get an ontario photo ID card first, then use the photo ID card, passport and my credit card to apply for OHIP -> WAIT for 3 months?
Is this the way for someone who does NOT have a driver license?
If you plan on getting an ID its better to get a G1 license (i.e. doing the easy written test)