File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
1. So are you suggesting, not just for the child but for us as well it may be a problem to avail coverage once PR card expire ?
2. Another question with regards to work, if we choose to form an incorporation for any business, will that can have any possible issues post expiry of PR card/PR status ?
3. Also one most important thing I just want to clarify, is living in Canada post your PR card expiry, in our case our PR status is also expired (as not met with RO & still staying to stack up days for RO), will this be considered as illegal ? What are the down side if ever IRCC find that out ? Also what are our options during that time ?

PS: By the time we will be inside Canada, we still got 14 months for renewal (so basically we are shorting with only 10 months in meeting RO).

Thanks for the prompt and insightful advices guys. Really appreciate that.
1. Yes, some people have run into issues getting health care coverage with expired PR cards. But you should be OK since your PR cards will still be valid when you arrive.
2. Doesn't matter. Yes, you can incorporate.
3. It is legal to live in Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
1. So are you suggesting, not just for the child but for us as well it may be a problem to avail coverage once PR card expire ?
2. Another question with regards to work, if we choose to form an incorporation for any business, will that can have any possible issues post expiry of PR card/PR status ?
3. Also one most important thing I just want to clarify, is living in Canada post your PR card expiry, in our case our PR status is also expired (as not met with RO & still staying to stack up days for RO), will this be considered as illegal ? What are the down side if ever IRCC find that out ? Also what are our options during that time ?

PS: By the time we will be inside Canada, we still got 14 months for renewal (so basically we are shorting with only 10 months in meeting RO).

Thanks for the prompt and insightful advices guys. Really appreciate that.
I believe some of the previous responses were based on misunderstandings about what documents you had and the like. Since you have a PR card that's still valid and you're asking about Ontario (I think?), the situation is a bit different.

1. In Ontario the problem is generally getting new coverage with an expired card - Ontario will issue OHiP cards based on an existing valid PR card and proof of resdiency in the province (like a lease). And they don't explicitly tie the OHIP card to the PR card - it will have a different expiry date and you'll have time. (For those with existing coverage and expired PR cards, the situation rarely comes up). BUT: you again will not have an easy time getting provincial coverage of child without PR status (there may be details I don't know about coverage for children of parents who are residents, etc - you'l have to find out but be prepared to get private coverage).

2. No, you can work on an expired card, you just need SIN. In fact apart from getting initial docs (DL, health, SIN, etc) there is not that much you will need PR card for while you are in Canada. You might have to 're-activate' your SIN if it's been put into dormant status (seemingly mostly an identity theft measure) but PR card will serve for that.

3. As above, very little you need a card for while in Canada. Main downside is you cannot sponsor your child until in compliance, and travel gets problematic/risky. (Also not renew your PR card until in compliance). THere is nothing remotely illegal or wrong about it, and no-one cares - including IRCC (except if you do something like apply for card, try to sponsor a family member, or present at a border ie leave and come back).

Since your time frame past expiry of your card to become compliant is (if I understood correctly) only about five-six months (assuming you come to Canada soon and therefore two years from now is five-six months past August 2023), most of this will be a non-issue EXCEPT sponsoring your child and need to be cautious with travel.

Reactions: YVR123

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Thanks. Noted on the property purchase advise.
We Became PR in Jul 2018 and post our entry, collection of PR card & SINs we moved back to Singapore within a month.
I think our answers earlier was based on you having an expired PR card and not meeting RO.

If you have valid PR card, if you come back soon (so RO is not far from being complied), your chance of being reported when you cross the border is low.

As previous reply, you can work with valid SIN. You should have no problem with a valid PR card to get healthcare coverage. And starting a company is fine as well as purchaing property.

The thing to watch is to try not to travel out of Canada until you meet RO and do not start sponsorship until then as well. Renew your PR card only when you meet RO as well.

Good luck with your resettlement.

Reactions: diadem27

diadem27

Mar 22, 2016
I think our answers earlier was based on you having an expired PR card and not meeting RO.

If you have valid PR card, if you come back soon (so RO is not far from being complied), your chance of being reported when you cross the border is low.

As previous reply, you can work with valid SIN. You should have no problem with a valid PR card to get healthcare coverage. And starting a company is fine as well as purchaing property.

The thing to watch is to try not to travel out of Canada until you meet RO and do not start sponsorship until then as well. Renew your PR card only when you meet RO as well.

Good luck with your resettlement.
Thanks a lot guys. I had all these queries and has already schedule a consultation with an Immigration Lawyer next week. But with such experience and knowledge people here had, I believe its waste of time and money to choose for such paid options. Once again thanks for all the inputs.

diadem27

Mar 22, 2016
tting new coverage with an expired card - Ontario will issue OHiP cards based on an existing valid PR card and proof of resdiency in the province (like a lease). An
I believe some of the previous responses were based on misunderstandings about what documents you had and the like. Since you have a PR card that's still valid and you're asking about Ontario (I think?), the situation is a bit different.

1. In Ontario the problem is generally getting new coverage with an expired card - Ontario will issue OHiP cards based on an existing valid PR card and proof of resdiency in the province (like a lease). And they don't explicitly tie the OHIP card to the PR card - it will have a different expiry date and you'll have time. (For those with existing coverage and expired PR cards, the situation rarely comes up). BUT: you again will not have an easy time getting provincial coverage of child without PR status (there may be details I don't know about coverage for children of parents who are residents, etc - you'l have to find out but be prepared to get private coverage).

2. No, you can work on an expired card, you just need SIN. In fact apart from getting initial docs (DL, health, SIN, etc) there is not that much you will need PR card for while you are in Canada. You might have to 're-activate' your SIN if it's been put into dormant status (seemingly mostly an identity theft measure) but PR card will serve for that.

3. As above, very little you need a card for while in Canada. Main downside is you cannot sponsor your child until in compliance, and travel gets problematic/risky. (Also not renew your PR card until in compliance). THere is nothing remotely illegal or wrong about it, and no-one cares - including IRCC (except if you do something like apply for card, try to sponsor a family member, or present at a border ie leave and come back).

Since your time frame past expiry of your card to become compliant is (if I understood correctly) only about five-six months (assuming you come to Canada soon and therefore two years from now is five-six months past August 2023), most of this will be a non-issue EXCEPT sponsoring your child and need to be cautious with travel.
Many thanks for such a clear and detailed explanation. One last thing, since i have to wait for my child sponsorship until RO met, will it present difficulty in education as well (since we have no choice but to bring him on TRV) ? Do we need to apply for some study permit ? Can a minor get study permit on TRV ? And MOST IMPORTANTLY will there be issues in keep extending TRV for the next 2 years ?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Many thanks for such a clear and detailed explanation. One last thing, since i have to wait for my child sponsorship until RO met, will it present difficulty in education as well (since we have no choice but to bring him on TRV) ? Do we need to apply for some study permit ? Can a minor get study permit on TRV ? And MOST IMPORTANTLY will there be issues in keep extending TRV for the next 2 years ?
I'm afraid I know considerably less than others on these topics. Education depends, I believe, on school board. I do not know about the TRV extension issue, at least having to extend so many times.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
Your child may not need a study permit Find out if your child needs a study permit - Canada.ca

diadem27

Mar 22, 2016
I'm afraid I know considerably less than others on these topics. Education depends, I believe, on school board. I do not know about the TRV extension issue, at least having to extend so many times.
Thanks a lot mate. One last piece of advise please. Currently i see the TRV processing time from "Outside of Canada" (Country-Singapore) is 33 days & "Inside of Canada" is 143 days.
In this case should i submit an online application and it will automatically take Singapore processing time (based on my mentioned country of residence)
OR
Should i go to Canadian VAC here in Singapore and submit from there so as to ensure it get processed as per mentioned Singapore processing timeframe.