+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New PR holder-Unemployment benefits and Quarantine

Jul 19, 2018
Hey everyone, I am a new permanent resident(received my PR card in November 2019) who will be moving to Toronto in the next couple of months. I have a few questions for which any help would be greatly appreciated:
  • I will be traveling from India and as per regulations I have to quarantine myself for 14 days when I reach Toronto. Are there defined guidelines on this? I do not have a residence yet so I plan on staying at an AirBnB in the meantime.

• For new permanent residents, are there any special government benefits for a certain period of time (reduced rent, etc) and are new PR holders who have not worked in Canada eligible for unemployment benefits?
Thank you!

- Nilesh

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1) No defined guidelines can be found in this forum. But the general idea is you cannot go outside your airbnb for grocery and you might have to order food to deliver to your door.

2) None of the things you mentioned are provided by the government

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hey everyone, I am a new permanent resident(received my PR card in November 2019) who will be moving to Toronto in the next couple of months. I have a few questions for which any help would be greatly appreciated:
  • I will be traveling from India and as per regulations I have to quarantine myself for 14 days when I reach Toronto. Are there defined guidelines on this? I do not have a residence yet so I plan on staying at an AirBnB in the meantime.

• For new permanent residents, are there any special government benefits for a certain period of time (reduced rent, etc) and are new PR holders who have not worked in Canada eligible for unemployment benefits?
Thank you!

- Nilesh
If you have concerns about being financially viable PRIOR to moving to a new country , I’d probably revisit your budget before moving
More so with the millions currently unemployed in the country
There are no programs in place to support newcomers financially

Reactions: YVR123 and cansha

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The proof of funds is there to make sure you have the funds to sustain you for hopefully 6 months until you find employment. I would take more that the POF given covid and more difficult economic conditions.