New Immigrant - Is CPA worth it ?

Feb 14, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Hey Guys, I've just been wondering for the past couple of months regarding a decision to pursue CPA . Hope you guys can give some insights or clarity as it is a long commitment of both time and funds. I’ve had my education in B.com from Mumbai and then Master in Accounting & Finance in Australia. I thought that would be enough as I was aiming for Australia PR, but I was wrong. Long story short, I've recently got my Canadian PR and hopefully will land by Sep/Oct

I was wondering if any of you had similar experience and CPA did actually help in the long run if not immediately. I’ve read that Canadian firms prefer Canadian education/experience and since I lack both, I don’t really see any other option education-wise. Also, I really do not want to do another Master, the first one already exhausted me financially and I’ll probably get some exception for the CPA and end up with just half of the modules. Talking about experience, my prior exp in India was middle office operation so I doubt that would count but I am open to working any jobs till I land something in my field.

So, from your experiences, do you think it will benefit a new immigrant to pursue CPA Canada? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks !!

Last edited:

iterp89

May 9, 2018
I think it is helpful, if you plan to apply at Big4 since a CPA helps you familiarize with the CA tax laws. That being said, if you have transferable skills like Internal Audit, Internal controls, Business Process Controls then CPA may not be that useful.

My wife who has CA from India is facing the same issues since she has transfer pricing experience and it was impossible for her to secure a job without CPA. She is currently on the path to be a CPA.

Reactions: muskansaini_17
Nov 20, 2021
Hi I am also CA in India and I'm currently in Transfer Pricing line in EY. Could you help me out how CPA would help me in Canada?