+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

New CIC qualifying occupations & PR status

starscream

Jul 10, 2007
Dear Friends,

Me and my wife are both Canadian Permanent Residents residing in the US. I have read that Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) will soon be establishing a list of 38 qualifying occupations for permanent resiency under the Skilled worker category. Applicants whose occupations are on this list and who meet the minimum points requirements under the Federal Skilled Worker category will be qualified for Permanent Residency. Others will not.

My question might sound a bit silly , but thought better to confirm: If the ocuupation under which I had applied for my Canadian PR is not on the list of 38 qualifyig ocupations - will I loose my PR status ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you are already a PR, you are already a PR. They can't change the rules retroactively. The 38 occupations are only valid for skilled worker applications made since February 27 this year, the day they announced they were changing the rules.

The only way you can lose your PR once you have it is if you commit a crime serious enough to warrant that, if you are found out as having lied to immigration to get your PR or if you have not fulfilled the residency requirements of living in Canada total 730 days or more in any 5 year period.

starscream

Jul 10, 2007
Thanks Leon

Leon said:
If you are already a PR, you are already a PR. They can't change the rules retroactively. The 38 occupations are only valid for skilled worker applications made since February 27 this year, the day they announced they were changing the rules.

The only way you can lose your PR once you have it is if you commit a crime serious enough to warrant that, if you are found out as having lied to immigration to get your PR or if you have not fulfilled the residency requirements of living in Canada total 730 days or more in any 5 year period.