+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Never renew PR card

Sullivan

Jun 13, 2012
Hi,
I know someone that has been living in Canada since 2006 and never renew his PR (should he? how often?).
As far as I know, in order to renew it's require the passport of country origine? apparently his passport has expired since 2009 and never renewed since. He lost his passport with all immigration docs he ever had when he move apartment. The only document he has are
SIN and health card. He is now working at one of Tim Hortons' shop here in Quebec.
He came as adopted child of his aunt, but he ran away from home quit school and erase his family tie with his aunt that suppose to be
responsible for him 10 yrs from day of arrival? she can't in fact proceed the responsability if the person erase her from his life?
He came here when he was 16.

My question is, what is his status in Canada in this case? is he consider illegal? does he has the right to work?
What will happen to her aunt if he got into trouble (ex. criminal?), does she has to responsible anyway? she still have couple of paper of her nephew (school diploma and passport copy), but she was badly hurt so she will ask a reimbursement of all cost she had paid to get him to Canada if he ever ask for the paper.

Anyone can help with this? thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
He is still a PR even if his PR card has expired and he is perfectly legal to work. His aunt is still financially responsible for him but only if he goes on welfare or disability. Then the government will turn to the aunt to re-pay it. She is responsible until he is 25. She is however not responsible if he does something criminal. He would have to stand trial like anybody else and if his crime is severe, he might lose his PR and get deported.

He doesn't have to renew his PR card if he is staying in Canada but he can if he can if he wants to and should if he wants to travel. First, he should renew his passport. He needs to go to the embassy and tell them his old passport was lost. If he needs his passport copy, he would have to talk to the aunt who I am sure will be willing to give it to him because she knows that he can hurt her financially if he decides he doesn't feel like working any more.

He can order a copy of his immigration documents here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/certcopy.asp

Once he has the new passport and his copy of his landing papers, he can apply to renew his PR card, see here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/prcard.asp

He has already been here for more than 3 years so he could actually apply for citizenship if he wants to.

Sullivan

Jun 13, 2012
Many thanks Leon!
I've forwarded your answer and link to my friend that I talked about here.
He'll proceed this procedure.

Too bad, his aunt is my good friend too and I know she's hurt badly of her nephew's act. I know for a fact that this boy
is a rebel person, can't take any home rules and hates school. She tried her best to give him a good life and future by bringing him
to Canada for a better chance. But most likely kids that age, they claim everything they do is the right thing...so..

But by doing this, I feel like I've betraded my good friend (his aunt) .. I'm standing in the middle, know exactly what happened and try to help them both. I just hope they both be OK.. thanks again!