+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Negative consequences of applying for EI benefits while parents PR is being processed

believeinbest

Jul 28, 2015
Hi there,

Unfortunately, I lost my job recently. During this covid 19 crisis, it's hard to find another employment relatively quickly. So, if possible, I want to get some financial help from the Government. Having said, that my financial position is strong enough that I can continue to support my family without any Government assistance for several months. So the EI income is a nice to have and not a must have.

My parents PR are currently being processed under 2019 sponsorship program. If I apply for EI, will it trigger some issues or negative consequences with the sponsorship application? Between my wife (co-sponsor on application) and I, we will meet the threshold of income earned for 2020.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank You.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi there,

Unfortunately, I lost my job recently. During this covid 19 crisis, it's hard to find another employment relatively quickly. So, if possible, I want to get some financial help from the Government. Having said, that my financial position is strong enough that I can continue to support my family without any Government assistance for several months. So the EI income is a nice to have and not a must have.

My parents PR are currently being processed under 2019 sponsorship program. If I apply for EI, will it trigger some issues or negative consequences with the sponsorship application? Between my wife (co-sponsor on application) and I, we will meet the threshold of income earned for 2020.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank You.
EI isn’t a problem although it will not count towards your LICO requirement for 2020.