+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to leave and reenter to study two six month programs back-to-back?

panamadan

Sep 11, 2015
My wife is going to Canada with me (I'm Canadian) to study English for a few months, and then do a six month course (as part of a 1 year co-op program) at a designated learning institute, followed by a six month work period as part of the coop program.

We registered at the school already and are about to apply for the study visa (for six months). We already have a multiple entry tourist visa good for six months. The school recommends applying for the study visa first, and then only once in Canada applying for the work permit. They say their students have way fewer rejections from CIC that way. When they apply for the study and work permit together they almost always get rejected.

So my plan is roughly:

1) Go to Canada in March on tourist visa until end of June, study English until middle of June, until when the school starts.
2) Do the five month course at the second school until the beginning of December.
3) Apply for a six month work permit as part of the co-op program.

So how does this work? We just go there with the tourist visa, saying we'll stay until the end of June 2016, with matching return tickets, but then just stay in the country after that under the student visa, and then again under the work permit. For about 15 months in total? Without leaving? Do we need to do anything special, talk to anyone?