+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need to know about Canadian law for spouse sponsorship

Khuram Toor

Mar 26, 2020
Hi,
I want to know something about Canadian law. Actually my brother in law who has Canadian 'PR', divorced his first wife in Canada 24 month ago & got married with my sister 14 months ago in Pakistan. Now he is in Canada & not sponsoring his second wife for canada. He is saying that it's a Canadian law not to allow a PR man to sponsor his second wife for canada till 5 years after divorced his first wife. If he do so, he will be arrested and paid fine. Can you confirm me about such type of law? Is it true or fake? Please guide me I am worried about my sister.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi,
I want to know something about Canadian law. Actually my brother in law who has Canadian 'PR', divorced his first wife in Canada 24 month ago & got married with my sister 14 months ago in Pakistan. Now he is in Canada & not sponsoring his second wife for canada. He is saying that it's a Canadian law not to allow a PR man to sponsor his second wife for canada till 5 years after divorced his first wife. If he do so, he will be arrested and paid fine. Can you confirm me about such type of law? Is it true or fake? Please guide me I am worried about my sister.
Google it.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi,
Was your brother in law sponsored for PR by his first wife ? Whether a man or a woman is not relevant a spouse sponsor can be either sex.

Doubt there is any chance of arrest or a fine just if there is any immigration restriction an application would just be rejected although if someone deliberately misrepresented the situation worst case it could affect their PR status

As above easily googled but feeling generous

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5289-sponsor-your-spouse-common-law-partner-conjugal-partner-dependent-child-complete-guide.html#bar

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/bulletins-2012/386-modified-march-2-2012.html

Last edited:

Khuram Toor

Mar 26, 2020
No my brother in law didn't sponsor his first wife but his first wife is Canadian citizen and she sponsored him for canada an after coming to Canada he divorced his first wife after a year.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No my brother in law didn't sponsor his first wife but his first wife is Canadian citizen and she sponsored him for canada an after coming to Canada he divorced his first wife after a year.
There is a five year rule. However it is not from the time he divorced.

He needs to wait five years from the time he arrived in Canada and became a PR before he can sponsor your sister for PR.

He will not be arrested or pay a fine. However if he tries to sponsor your sister before five years have passed from the time he arrived in Canada and became a PR, the application will be refused.

Reactions: canuck_in_uk