08-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
10-06-2014
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
Submitted pp with application (paper based)
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
Hi
I am an Indian student
I am planning for Masters from a low ranked institution in Canada. (Concordia University College of Alberta )
Now , I have a good profile.People suggest me go for High ranked Universities.
I am in dilemna whether doing masters from a low ranked Instituion hampers the job opportunites in any manner??
Or whether the employers are only interested in hiring people from well known reputed University?

Please post your valuable suggestions.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
parul154 said:
Hi
I am an Indian student
I am planning for Masters from a low ranked institution in Canada. (Concordia University College of Alberta )
I am in dilemna whether doing masters from a low ranked Instituion hampers the job opportunites in any manner??
Or whether the employers are only interested in hiring people from well known reputed University?

ofcourse it matters.....its one of the factors though not the only factor.better universities have better education which also helps not just reputation. better university means better research means better ties with industry.there is no 'yes or no' answer to ur question. there r pros and cons which u have to look at and decide. like example if u do MBA from a low level university its worthless but an ivy league university very good. jobs depend on a lot of other factors too like luck,ur soft skills ,networking etc......so just being in a good university doesnt mean u will get a job.

parul154

Feb 25, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
IELTS Request
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
10-06-2014
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
mead said:
ofcourse it matters.....its one of the factors though not the only factor.better universities have better education which also helps not just reputation. better university means better research means better ties with industry.there is no 'yes or no' answer to ur question. there r pros and cons which u have to look at and decide. like example if u do MBA from a low level university its worthless but an ivy league university very good. jobs depend on a lot of other factors too like luck,ur soft skills ,networking etc......so just being in a good university doesnt mean u will get a job.

Thanks for the wonderful advice.
I completely agree.
Do employers also prefer ppl from reputed Universities?? I knwo its a stupid ques, but still...

raj_009

Star Member
Oct 3, 2013
parul154 said:
I completely agree.
Do employers also prefer ppl from reputed Universities?? I knwo its a stupid ques, but still...
Can u even think of comparing IIM-A with Lovely professional university? It is taken for granted by employers, a grad from IIM-A is way ahead and DISTINCT compared to one from LPU. Ur university has a first impression, rest all, as mentioned correctly by mead, are other factors like ur luck, ur hardwork, networking skills etc. If ur good, world will welcome u with open arms.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
parul154 said:
I completely agree.
employers always look for best people for the job. Ofcourse university reputation matters. And like i said its just one of the factors that employer look for.....example if an IIT passout shows up for a job and an ordinary university passout shows up who do u think will get the job provided all the other attributes r the same.its common sense if ur going to an ordinary university u should have something else to back u up and compete against better university graduates.

parul154

Feb 25, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
IELTS Request
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
10-06-2014
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
@raj and @mead

I appreciate it a lot, and i will give a thought to it. I am myself exploring all the possible options right now.

My profile :
10th : 91.4%
12th : 85%
Btech in 2012 (Electronics and Communication Engineering) : 78%
Presntly working as a Software Engineer in HCL technologies. I have 1.5 years of work ex in IT domain so far.
No backlogs at all, No education gaps

I am okay with Jan Intake 2015 as well.Please guide for better universities.

Rquest both of you to please add me on facebook, as i can take guidance from you time to time.

https://www.facebook.com/parul.khanna.710

raj_009

Star Member
Oct 3, 2013
parul154 said:
@ raj and @ mead

I appreciate it a lot, and i will give a thought to it. I am myself exploring all the possible options right now.

My profile :
10th : 91.4%
12th : 85%
Btech in 2012 (Electronics and Communication Engineering) : 78%
Presntly working as a Software Engineer in HCL technologies. I have 1.5 years of work ex in IT domain so far.
No backlogs at all, No education gaps

I am okay with Jan Intake 2015 as well.Please guide for better universities.

Rquest both of you to please add me on facebook, as i can take guidance from you time to time.

https://www.facebook.com/parul.khanna.710
Look, u got a great profile. I would strongly recommend u to wait for some time and apply to better universities. U should apply to at least 5 unis so that u can get accepted into 2 or 3 and then choose among those. Run thru this website for a comprehensive list of universities offering program in the domain of ur specialization.
http://www.aucc.ca/
Check out respective uni websites, look for jan intakes also. ( age hardly matters when ur going for studies abroad and in masters programs backed by work-ex)... Mail program coordinators, ask if any1 is willing to accept u. After getting approval, u may apply to the uni. N yes, don't trust consultants blindly. They always send to colleges and unis. which are v easy to get into and offering them high commission. ATB..

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
parul154 said:
Hi
I am an Indian student

Is your program on this list? Otherwise it is not eligible for a PGWP

•Concordia University College of AlbertaFootnote 1◦3-year Bachelor of Arts (Drama; English; French; History; Music; Philosophy; Political Economy; Psychology; Religious Studies; Sociology)
◦3-year Bachelor of Science (Biology; Chemistry; Environmental Science; Mathematics)
◦4-year Bachelor of Arts (English; Music; Psychology [Applied Emphasis]; Religious Studies)
◦4-year Bachelor of Science (Biology; Chemistry; Environmental Science; Mathematics)
◦2-year Bachelor of Environmental Health (after degree)
◦2-year Bachelor of Education in Elementary Education (after degree)
◦4-year Bachelor of Management
◦Master of Arts in Biblical and Christian Studies
◦Master of Information Systems Assurance Management
◦Master of Information Systems Security Management

txboyscout

Jun 9, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
03-08-2011
parul154 said:
Hi
I am an Indian student
Landing a job takes into consideration a variety of factors. Yes, the Uni or College that you graduate from matters (if it has name recognition it helps to get your resume looked at closely). Having said that there is a more highly reputed Concordia Univesity in Montreal, Quebec. People might mistake your institution for that one. Even graduating from Harvard or Yale does not gurantee you a job these days. It depends on all your skills and presentations. Do you have the soft skills, social skiils required for a job? It is hard to say how much of an effect the institution has on employment chances

parul154

Feb 25, 2014
New Delhi
Visa Office......
Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-07-2014
IELTS Request
08-03-2014
File Transfer...
03-07-2014
Med's Done....
10-06-2014
Interview........
Waived Off
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
21-07-2014
LANDED..........
27-08-2014
txboyscout said:
Landing a job takes into consideration a variety of factors. Yes, the Uni or College that you graduate from matters (if it has name recognition it helps to get your resume looked at closely). Having said that there is a more highly reputed Concordia Univesity in Montreal, Quebec. People might mistake your institution for that one. Even graduating from Harvard or Yale does not gurantee you a job these days. It depends on all your skills and presentations. Do you have the soft skills, social skiils required for a job? It is hard to say how much of an effect the institution has on employment chances
My progrm is Master of Information Systems Security Management . and its listed in the list. So i ll get 3 yrs PGWP.
Any insights abt the scope of such program??

I completely agree with u that getting a job depends on variety of factors.
The institution from which i am planning to persue masters is listed here : http://www.aucc.ca/
But as far as i knwo, its not amongst top rank Universtites.

@raj_009 and @mead ... Thanks for your wonderful help. I wud like to knwo how exactly we search job in cancada. Any sites or what? I need to know the sites as well, so that i can get an idea abt profiles offered.