+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need PRTD to return if from USA?

USACanada

May 9, 2015
I will be staying in Seattle (USA) for a few months and will return to Vancouver (Canada).
I will drive back to Vancouver.
My PR card expired, but I work in Canada and meet the residency requirement.
Do I need to apply for PRTD in Seattle? Can I return to Canada with an expired PR card?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I will be staying in Seattle (USA) for a few months and will return to Vancouver (Canada).
Do I need to apply for PRTD in Seattle? Can I return to Canada with an expired PR card?
You can enter with an expired PR card. No need for a PRTD.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you have proof of your PR card renewal I would also bring that to show that at the border.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
You can return with no documents at all, or even just a US license, because your status does not depend on the documents.

You're likely going to end up in secondary no matter what you bring, and an expired PR card is better than most other alternatives. With the COVID measures, nearly everyone's going into secondary anyway, so there's little practical difference. With a PR card, you save them having to look up your UCI, which takes a few seconds.

In normal times, an expired PR card with a statement that one has applied for renewal will sometimes get you through primary and avoid secondary.

Reactions: armoured

Ashh6222

Apr 16, 2021
so can i travel to USA and then reenter Canada with expired PR Card , i have already applied for renewal for PR CARD but its taking time and i want to travel to USA in june

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so can i travel to USA and then reenter Canada with expired PR Card , i have already applied for renewal for PR CARD but its taking time and i want to travel to USA in june
Enter Canada with expired PR card by walking or driving only

Reactions: armoured

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Where are you coming from? If from outside the US you must get another PCR test within 72 hours of your entry into Canada in the US before you can enter Canada.

iamdollydot

Star Member
Nov 9, 2021
Hello! Is there any update on this? did you end up going to the border?