+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

NEED HELP WITH CONVERTING VISITOR TO WORK PERMIT

Saini_2012

Mar 12, 2020
Hi folks,
Hope everyone is doing good!

I need your advice... I came to Canada on a visitor visa in July 2018... traveled for a bit and then decided to stay longer and try finding a job. I applied for my stay extension in Feb 2019 and got an approval to stay till June 2019. Around June I gave a few interviews got a job offer from an employer who was happy to process my LMIA. While my LMIA was being processed I had to apply for another extension but my extension got refused on Oct 2nd 2019 but my LMIA got approved on 11 Oct. I applied for restoration on the basis of my LMIA approval and I finally got my extension on Feb 5. I now need to get my work permit....my dilemma is that should I apply for the work permit online or should I do it at the border?

I tried the Port of Entry at Sarnia and they advised that they do not have the authority to issue a WP. Please help and suggest should I do it online or at the border?

Saini_2012

Mar 12, 2020
@iglu Is there any disadvantage of applying online besides the processing time.... can I even apply online as I am getting my work permit for the first time?

I am just worried about going to the Niagara border as I have heard that they give you the run around and you gotta waits 8-10 hours, try atleast 2-3 days in a row to finally get them to look into your file?

Last edited:

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
IRCC says only those that don't need a visitor visa can apply at the border, if that's not you I say apply online.

Saini_2012

Mar 12, 2020
You don’t have an option. It must be online because you are not from a visa exempt country.
I personally know people who came from India on a visitor, got an LMIA and got the work permit at the border. Do you know since when this has changed?

Saini_2012

Mar 12, 2020
@iglu @canuck78 @bongoman
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply.html

I tried to see if I can apply on the CIC website, I chose "inside Canada" for "Where are you applying from? " and the list of options that they have doesn't include visitors or TRV so what do I do?

You can apply from inside Canada if one of these applies:

• you have a valid study or work permit
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit
  • you graduated from a program at a:
    • Canadian university
    • community college
    • CÉGEP
    • publicly funded trade/technical school, or
    • other eligible school
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child has a temporary resident permit that is valid for 6 months or more
  • you’re waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada
  • you made or will make a claim for refugee protection
  • you’ve been recognized as a convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
  • you’re allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit to work in a different job

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@iglu @canuck78 @bongoman
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/permit/temporary/apply.html

I tried to see if I can apply on the CIC website, I chose "inside Canada" for "Where are you applying from? " and the list of options that they have doesn't include visitors or TRV so what do I do?

You can apply from inside Canada if one of these applies:

• you have a valid study or work permit
  • your spouse, common-law partner or parents have a valid study or work permit
  • you graduated from a program at a:
    • Canadian university
    • community college
    • CÉGEP
    • publicly funded trade/technical school, or
    • other eligible school
  • you or your spouse, common-law partner or dependent child has a temporary resident permit that is valid for 6 months or more
  • you’re waiting on a decision on an application for permanent residence from inside Canada
  • you made or will make a claim for refugee protection
  • you’ve been recognized as a convention refugee or protected person by the Immigration and Refugee Board of Canada
  • you’re allowed to work in Canada without a work permit but you need a work permit to work in a different job
You fit none of the requirements including the one you highlighted.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I personally know people who came from India on a visitor, got an LMIA and got the work permit at the border. Do you know since when this has changed?
Unless they were students before or had spouse studying or working in Canada they would not be able to get a WP at the border.