+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help moving family to Canada

Kaztech

Mar 19, 2007
Hi everyone,

I have some specific questions regarding moving back to Canada, so please bare with me as I describe my situation:

I'm a Canadian citizen living in the US as a legal permanent resident - no problem there. My boyfriend is an Australian citizen, living with me, and has overstayed his 3month US visa waiver.

We have an 8 month old daughter, born in the US, considered by US to be US citizen and has a US passport. I understand Canada will consider her a Canadian citizen because she was born to a Canadian citizen parent.

Now we (my boyfriend & I) do not want to stay in the US, we want to move to Canada where all my family resides - my brothers are in Toronto. I just got permission from my job in the US to be able to telecommute from Toronto.

Now within the next few months, we want to pack everything up and drive across the border. We were planning on getting married this spring, but don't know now if we will do that here or in Canada. Here are my concerns:

• 1. When we drive up to the Canadian border, will my fiance be allowed in?? What can we expect there?
  • 2. Once we get there, I plan on starting the PR sponsorship for him within a couple of months (first want to save up the $1k it costs to apply).
  • 3. Should we instead fly him from the US to Australia (he can go visit his family), and I move up to Canada with our daughter by myself, then he flies from Australia to Canada to stay with us?
  • 4. Should we get married here, before we drive to Canada? Will that improve our chances of entering Canada all together as a family?
  • 5. I don't want to apply for his PR while I'm residing in the US, because from what I've read it will take too long. We want to be in Toronto before the summer. I'm *praying* this is possible.

Ideally - I want all 3 of us to drive across to Canada to our new home and get settled in, then apply for his PR. He's not going to work anyways because he's going to stay home and watch the baby. I make enough $ to support us.

Is any/all of this possible? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Kaztech

dpshah

May 2, 2007
This looks very simple. You, boyfriend and daughter go to Canada. Of course, your boy friend need to apply for visitors visa. After you reach canada they your boyfriend applies for PR. Or straightway you apply for his PR sponsoring from USA itself and wait for some time.