+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need help as I had DUI back in USA about 3 yrs back and it got dismissed - Now got ITA for EE

kunaalKhem

Jun 15, 2020
Dear friends,
I got charged with DUI in USA with 0.08 about 3 years back and its declared as "Wet reckless driving" , and paid all fines , and finally DUI case has been closed and now I am clean.[probation and everything got served]
Now I am in Canada on WorkPermit and got ITA under EE.

I have all the documentation and everything, and going to upload the same.

Did anyone come across this scenario, do I need to be cautioned about anything.

Thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Dear friends,
I got charged with DUI in USA with 0.08 about 3 years back and its declared as "Wet reckless driving" , and paid all fines , and finally DUI case has been closed and now I am clean.[probation and everything got served]
Now I am in Canada on WorkPermit and got ITA under EE.

I have all the documentation and everything, and going to upload the same.

Did anyone come across this scenario, do I need to be cautioned about anything.

Thanks
Did you declare this charge in your work permit application to Canada?

I would recommend checking with a Canadian immigration lawyer to confirm how this charge will be evaluated. I personally don't know enough to tell you if this will be evaluated by Canada as a DUI charge or something else. Canada recently changed it's rules regarding DIUs and increased their severity.

http://bordercrossing.ca/canada-dui-entry-2019-changes/#:~:text=Canada DUI Changes in 2018,serious criminality” for legal purposes.

kunaalKhem

Jun 15, 2020
Did you declare this charge in your work permit application to Canada?

I would recommend checking with a Canadian immigration lawyer to confirm how this charge will be evaluated. I personally don't know enough to tell you if this will be evaluated by Canada as a DUI charge or something else. Canada recently changed it's rules regarding DIUs and increased their severity.

http://bordercrossing.ca/canada-dui-entry-2019-changes/#:~:text=Canada DUI Changes in 2018,serious criminality” for legal purposes.
Hi,
At the time of my entry to Canada on Work-permit, my case was with Court and no charges yet. (And I got my Canada visa way before the incident happened). later court dropped the charges to "wet reckless driving" in Canada.

After staying in Canada for 2 years, I have declared it in my next work permit extension, and work permit extension got approved. Pending with TRV process (Temporary Resident Visa) due to covid its taking time.

Also i see below in one of the form, I got charged on March 2018, So I think I am safe now,pls check the below.
"
The minister said that anyone deemed rehabilitated for an impaired driving offence outside Canada before December 18, 2018, “would not need to reapply for relief to overcome inadmissibility due to that same offence.”

https://www.cicnews.com/2018/09/feds-address-immigration-concerns-raised-by-tougher-impaired-driving-sentences-0911165.html

Please let me know if any other details needed!

Last edited:

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,
At the time of my entry to Canada on Work-permit, my case was with Court and no charges yet. (And I got my Canada visa way before the incident happened). later court dropped the charges to "wet reckless driving" in Canada.

After staying in Canada for 2 years, I have declared it in my next work permit extension, and work permit extension got approved. Pending with TRV process (Temporary Resident Visa) due to covid its taking time.

Also i see below in one of the form, I got charged on March 2018, So I think I am safe now,pls check the below.
"
The minister said that anyone deemed rehabilitated for an impaired driving offence outside Canada before December 18, 2018, “would not need to reapply for relief to overcome inadmissibility due to that same offence.”

https://www.cicnews.com/2018/09/feds-address-immigration-concerns-raised-by-tougher-impaired-driving-sentences-0911165.html

Please let me know if any other details needed!
It sounds like you should be OK. Make sure you declare this again as part of your EE application. While it doesn't make you inadmissible, you still need to declare it.

kunaalKhem

Jun 15, 2020
It sounds like you should be OK. Make sure you declare this again as part of your EE application. While it doesn't make you inadmissible, you still need to declare it.
Thank you scylla for your quick review and opinion, are you a consultant or regular member of this group?. Though of connecting thru call!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you scylla for your quick review and opinion, are you a consultant or regular member of this group?. Though of connecting thru call!
I'm just a normal person.

If you want a call consult, you would need to hire a lawyer.

kunaalKhem

Jun 15, 2020
one more quick questions,
As I got ITA but not yet submitted documentation , can I create another request for ITA and once its picked , can I decline the old and go with new picked ITA for PR submission. Because only 40 days remaining for Submission of the PR documents so this can help me buy more another 90 days. any suggestion helps here?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Kunaal,

Were you able to get your PR? I'm facing similar issues!
OP only posted three months ago. PR takes much longer to process than that.