+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need an explanation about my assessment

izz

Mar 17, 2009
Can anyone help me understand CIC assessment of my application?
I was surprised that they gave me 0 points on language proficiency, and I fear that they didn't receive my IELTS result.
My question is: if my score is about 5.4, does this mean that I worth zero points in my application?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You need to look at your score in each ability and compare it to the application guide points instructions. At http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/EG72.asp if you scroll down near the middle of the page, you can see the points intructions. If you had average 5.4, you will probably get some points but not many.

wpc71

Dec 17, 2008
How can you score 5.4 on ielts? you can get either full or half band score! Did they give you the breakdown of your scores after assessment?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If he had for example 5.5 in 3 abilities and 5 in one ability, he would end up with an average of 5.4 or if he had 4.5, 5, 5.5 and 6.5 so it is impossible to say from the average how many points he is getting. He needs to look at his score on each ability and compare it to the table.

izz

Mar 17, 2009
Well, here is my result table:
Listening 5.5
Reading 5
Writing 5.5
Speaking 6
Overall Band 5.5

How many points should I be given?

PCHC

Star Member
Mar 18, 2008
Reading : 2
Writing : 2
Speaking : 2

Total 8 points you can claim for Language

izz

Mar 17, 2009
If I do the exam again and achieve a higher score, would they consider the same application? Or I have to apply and rush into the whole process again?

BobbyB

Champion Member
Feb 10, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
izz said:
Can anyone help me understand CIC assessment of my application?
I was surprised that they gave me 0 points on language proficiency, and I fear that they didn't receive my IELTS result.
My question is: if my score is about 5.4, does this mean that I worth zero points in my application?

IZZ,

Sorry, this is a new one me, but can you explain how you know that you were given 0 Points?
It is totally unlikely that someone would get 0 in English ( I mean not even 4 points).

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you already sent them your IELTS and they told you that you don't have enough points and closed your file, that would be it, you would have to apply again. If you didn't send it yet and they are complaining that you didn't send it yet, you could take it again and try to get better. It does not sound right to get 0 points for English if they got your result. You should have 8.

izz

Mar 17, 2009
Dear Leon and BobyB
Thanks for your replies.
Actually my representative sent me a scan of rejection letter that contained the assessment table. Assessment table contained 0 points for English, which made me surprised.
After you helped me calculate my English level points, I realized that my representative didn't submit my IELTS result because he knew that it will lead the total score to a value less than 67.
My representative told me that I have to achieve 7,7,5,5 in IELTS sections in order to pass.

Now, I wonder wither I have to re-enter the whole immigration process, or there will be a simplified path that I can go through.
The current application started in May 2006 it's decision was made last month.

izz

Mar 17, 2009
My friends...
Still I wish I find an answer about whether I need to repeat the whole process or not?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you will have to apply again. Your representative should have adviced you about the IELTS results and lack of points. Next time, you know from the rejection letter how many points you scored for everything else, maybe you can add some more points for work experience since then and you can try the IELTS again and see if you can get more points.