+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advise - CIC lost/misplaced FBI clearance certificate

prototypev

Nov 15, 2013
Hi everyone, hopefully somebody has experience or suggestions on the course of action I should take.

I just received an email from CPP-Ottawa that they are requesting for my original FBI clearance certificates. As a reference for timelines, my application was received on Oct. 11, 2012, AOR received Dec. 1, 2012. MR was requested just a few days ago only, and RPRF was requested today.

The thing is, as part of the original application requirements, I had submitted my original FBI clearance certificates way back then together with the initial application package. So it seems to be they have either lost it, or misplaced it. Now, they are requesting me to submit the original FBI certs, with a timeline of 30 days.

So what should I do? Since I had obviously sent in my original FBI certs with my application last year, can I just tell them to look for it? Even if I really have to get my FBI certs again, processing time takes much longer than 30 days. Seems I am screwed royally by CIC's incompetence on this matter.

Any advise? Thanks...

Maxim1251

Star Member
Sep 17, 2013
GTA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
2013-07-12
AOR Received.
2013-09-12
IELTS Request
Submitted with package
Med's Request
2014-02-25
Med's Done....
2014-03-04 (received on 2014-03-13)
Passport Req..
2014-04-10
VISA ISSUED...
2014-04-14
LANDED..........
2014-04-17
If I remember correctly, PCCs have validity of 1 year, which is already passed in your case. Maybe this is the core reason they are asking about new (updated) one?

gladaki

Champion Member
Jul 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2013
AOR Received.
30-12-2013
IELTS Request
submitted with application
Med's Done....
Upfront on 29th April..Updated on Ecas on 26th May
Passport Req..
11-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
17-07-2014
LANDED..........
20-07-2014
prototypev said:
Hi everyone, hopefully somebody has experience or suggestions on the course of action I should take.

I just received an email from CPP-Ottawa that they are requesting for my original FBI clearance certificates. As a reference for timelines, my application was received on Oct. 11, 2012, AOR received Dec. 1, 2012. MR was requested just a few days ago only, and RPRF was requested today.

The thing is, as part of the original application requirements, I had submitted my original FBI clearance certificates way back then together with the initial application package. So it seems to be they have either lost it, or misplaced it. Now, they are requesting me to submit the original FBI certs, with a timeline of 30 days.

So what should I do? Since I had obviously sent in my original FBI certs with my application last year, can I just tell them to look for it? Even if I really have to get my FBI certs again, processing time takes much longer than 30 days. Seems I am screwed royally by CIC's incompetence on this matter.

Any advise? Thanks...
Tell them you did submited the original with application. If you have a copy of it send it along with mail. Also apply for new certificate while waiting for reply which could varies from 3 days to 2 weeks

prototypev

Nov 15, 2013
gladaki said:
Tell them you did submited the original with application. If you have a copy of it send it along with mail. Also apply for new certificate while waiting for reply which could varies from 3 days to 2 weeks
That's pretty much what I did - reply them back clarifying that I submitted the original, and I attached a copy too.

Having to request for a new cert is really frustrating.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
I agree with Maxim - it's likely because more than one year has passed. It's unfortunate that they couldn't be more clear about that.

I would advise just going ahead and applying for a new one, and email CIC on the date you apply, along with the estimated processing time for the FBI cert.

prototypev

Nov 15, 2013
Just thought I'd give an update. CIC responded back to my reply, and they admitted they lost/misplaced my original FBI clearance certificate. :mad: So it isn't because they need an updated certificate.

CIC's reply:

Good Day,

Thank you for your email.

Please note that after careful review of your file, please note that we have been unable to locate the original FBI certificate, hence, the request. If you are not able to submit the original document, please provide an updated certificate.

Regards,
It's infuriating to know that my application is being delayed, and I need to incur additional costs because someone over there messed up.

lithium002

Nov 11, 2008
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb/07/2013
Doc's Request.
Aug/22/2013
AOR Received.
Mar/19/2013
Med's Request
Dec/01/2013
Med's Done....
Dec/09/2013
Passport Req..
Mar/13/2014
VISA ISSUED...
Mar/26/2014
LANDED..........
Mar/30/2014
prototypev said:
Just thought I'd give an update. CIC responded back to my reply, and they admitted they lost/misplaced my original FBI clearance certificate. :mad: So it isn't because they need an updated certificate.

CIC's reply:

It's infuriating to know that my application is being delayed, and I need to incur additional costs because someone over there messed up.
Funny that they ask you to send an updated certificate if you can't submit the "original document" whilst acknowledging they have lost it.

Please re-submit the document we lost. Logic fail.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
lithium002 said:
Funny that they ask you to send an updated certificate if you can't submit the "original document" whilst acknowledging they have lost it.

Please re-submit the document we lost. Logic fail.
Not really, they only said it was not in their file - they have no proof of ever having received it, only the applicant's word. Unfortunately, this happens sometimes... And getting the FBI clearance is such a PITA...