+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice-

cp008

Mar 18, 2009
I was just rejected in my application for Canadian experience, because I am self employed and that made me ineligible for that program.
Know me and my spouse are planning to try it by sponsorship. He is Canadian, we both live in Canada. At the moment i hold a postgraduate work permit, that expires in June.
I would like to also apply for an extension on my working visa, because we need the income. I was just wondering would it be better for me to change job - not be self employed- in order to get my extension in my visa?
How long are the processing times for V. Alberta?

Thanks, any pieces advice helps :)

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Too much is unclear about your situation. First of all, the fastest way for you to be approved for PR was always to be sponsored as a spouse. If you get that application in process, and you apply via the inland process, you can include an extension application for your work permit and continue under the original conditions of that permit (even after it expires) until you get a new temporary status document (people usually apply for an open work permit) when you pass the first stage of assessment for PR (6-7 months after you submit the ap). Don't know if you can change jobs - depends on your permit - but there is no income requirement for either you or your spouse on a sponsorship application so I doubt it makes any difference if you're wondering because of income. The requirements you experienced in the experience class are not applicable to spousal.

Inland PR aps are processed through the Case Processing Centre in Vegreville. It takes 6-7 months to get past the first stage of assessment and get the OWP (which you'd elect and pay the fee for as part of the extension ap you submit WITH the inland PR ap). Then it's another 6-12 months until finalization. You can also always apply via the outland process and have your application processed through the visa office that represents your home country - that's usually a faster finalization than inland - and having that ap in process would get your temporary status extended, but only as a visitor. You'd not be able to extend your work permit and continue working - but you would be able to work again once you got PR. How long depends on the processing timeline for your country's visa office.

A couple key points: no right of appeal with an inland ap, you need to remain in Canada in order to be eligible for PR (if you leave and aren't readmitted, the ap is forfeited) AND you must be qualified and submit the application BEFORE your current temporary status expires. Be sure you track the mailing of the application and get delivery confirmation so you have proof of your "implied status" to continue working under your current permit. The info is all in the Applicant's Guide of the inland PR package.