+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice regarding winter clothes (coming from India)

Lazy_thinker

Aug 21, 2020
Hi! Salut!

I am an Indian student who will be migrating to Montreal around January. Now, I am really really worried about the type of winter clothes that I should pack. I am from a tropical country and have no experience with the type of clothes that are required to survive in the snowy winter in Montreal. It would be hugely helpful if anyone can provide any advice or link to websites regarding any brands that I can buy.

Thank you. Bonne journee.

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Don't pack anything, buy them in Montreal.

Avoid Canada Goose products and other expensive, heavy parkas with fur, etc. They are commonly stolen and are not really needed since you're going to be mostly indoors where it's heated. Better brands would include MEC or LL Bean.

You want a few lighter layers you can easily put on and take off as you go in and out of doors, such as a zip-up sweater and a puffer jacket. A hat and gloves are also essential. A scarf is not but can be nice to have when it's windy.

The sidewalks are usually cleared quickly so waterproof hiking boots or shoes are plenty. You don't need giant snow boots that go up to your knee. Finally, you may want crampons to attach to your shoes for when it gets icy. Knowing how to recognize black ice slicks on sidewalks is probably the most important survival skill.

Reactions: paneka penalty

mapleleaf987

Jun 29, 2017
Hi! Salut!

I am an Indian student who will be migrating to Montreal around January. Now, I am really really worried about the type of winter clothes that I should pack. I am from a tropical country and have no experience with the type of clothes that are required to survive in the snowy winter in Montreal. It would be hugely helpful if anyone can provide any advice or link to websites regarding any brands that I can buy.

Thank you. Bonne journee.
you're landing in one of the colder cities in peak winter. it does not make sense buying winter gear from india as those are either not suitable or too expensive. if you already know someone here you should be able to borrow and get away for the initial days until youre able to buy your own. if not i would highly recommend connecting with some alumni other classmates etc who are already here and can lend you a jacket and boot on arrival.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Don't pack anything, buy them in Montreal.

Avoid Canada Goose products and other expensive, heavy parkas with fur, etc. They are commonly stolen and are not really needed since you're going to be mostly indoors where it's heated. Better brands would include MEC or LL Bean.

You want a few lighter layers you can easily put on and take off as you go in and out of doors, such as a zip-up sweater and a puffer jacket. A hat and gloves are also essential. A scarf is not but can be nice to have when it's windy.

The sidewalks are usually cleared quickly so waterproof hiking boots or shoes are plenty. You don't need giant snow boots that go up to your knee. Finally, you may want crampons to attach to your shoes for when it gets icy. Knowing how to recognize black ice slicks on sidewalks is probably the most important survival skill.
Disagree that you can get away with hiking boots or shoes are fine. This isn’t Vancouver or even Toronto. You’ll need some warm boots that have some grips on the bottoms you don’t slip as much on the ice. Something mid calf of 1/4 up the shin is best so the snow or slush doesn’t get into your boots as easiely. Something like a Sorel boot or knockoff is a good option. If people are working indoors they usually bring or have more suitable shoes to wear indoors. Children change out of their boots when they get to school. I buy these warming disposable pouches that I put in my gloves and often in my pockets to add more eat closer to my body. Would invest in these. You can often find some good deals if you buy a larger quantity from Costco, winners, maybe amazon or other retailers especially at the end of winter.

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/use-hand-warmers-one-simple-trick-makes

A scarf or neck warmer is definitely needed especially in places like Montreal. Layers are the way to go. You May want to invest in long underwear/thermal underwear. Some wear them everyday but others only wear them if they are spending longer periods outside. Wearing 2 sets of socks of at least one thick sock is a good idea. Agree that you don’t need a Canada goose jacket or have to spend that much on a jacket unless you are working outside or living in an environment where it is required. Would make sure to look for a jacket that at least goes down to around your knees to give you more protection. You will keep your jacket for numerous years so making a bit of investment for a better coat is worthwhile.

Reactions: Lazy_thinker

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Disagree that you can get away with hiking boots or shoes are fine. This isn’t Vancouver or even Toronto. You’ll need some warm boots that have some grips on the bottoms you don’t slip as much on the ice. Something mid calf of 1/4 up the shin is best so the snow or slush doesn’t get into your boots as easiely. Something like a Sorel boot or knockoff is a good option. If people are working indoors they usually bring or have more suitable shoes to wear indoors. Children change out of their boots when they get to school. I buy these warming disposable pouches that I put in my gloves and often in my pockets to add more eat closer to my body. Would invest in these. You can often find some good deals if you buy a larger quantity from Costco, winners, maybe amazon or other retailers especially at the end of winter.

https://www.outdoors.org/articles/amc-outdoors/use-hand-warmers-one-simple-trick-makes

A scarf or neck warmer is definitely needed especially in places like Montreal. Layers are the way to go. You May want to invest in long underwear/thermal underwear. Some wear them everyday but others only wear them if they are spending longer periods outside. Wearing 2 sets of socks of at least one thick sock is a good idea. Agree that you don’t need a Canada goose jacket or have to spend that much on a jacket unless you are working outside or living in an environment where it is required. Would make sure to look for a jacket that at least goes down to around your knees to give you more protection. You will keep your jacket for numerous years so making a bit of investment for a better coat is worthwhile.
Better yet, bring from India - the warming disposable pouches to put in gloves / pants in the pockets add more heat to one's body. Probably cheaper to buy them in India than Canadian stores such as Costco and Winners.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019

Perhaps I have an unusually high cold tolerance for someone from the Bay Area...in four Montreal winters I only wore my serious boots a couple of times. Blundstones were probably the most common style I saw among the university crowd. I was also never able to figure out how to wear a scarf without it flying off and landing in a snowbank lol.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Perhaps I have an unusually high cold tolerance for someone from the Bay Area...in four Montreal winters I only wore my serious boots a couple of times. Blundstones were probably the most common style I saw among the university crowd. I was also never able to figure out how to wear a scarf without it flying off and landing in a snowbank lol.
You definitely must have a high tolerance for the cold . Most Montrealers, except maybe some teenagers and young adults, tend to wear a good jackets, pair of boots, hot/gloves/scarf, etc.