+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice regarding what to put on IMM0008 form - Common law sponsorship

patpot

Jul 14, 2023
Hi, hoping to get some advice regarding this inquiry.

In the IMM0008 form, it asks where I intend to live in Canada. We currently live in Quebec and I'm on a closed work permit and I will submit an open work permit application together with the PR. We dont intend to stay in Quebec and will move as soon as I get an open work permit. Do I need to declare here where we plan to live when I get an open work permit or should I say put I intend to live in Quebec as we are submitting the sponsorship application here in Quebec?

Thank you and hoping to hear your response.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi, hoping to get some advice regarding this inquiry.

In the IMM0008 form, it asks where I intend to live in Canada. We currently live in Quebec and I'm on a closed work permit and I will submit an open work permit application together with the PR. We dont intend to stay in Quebec and will move as soon as I get an open work permit. Do I need to declare here where we plan to live when I get an open work permit or should I say put I intend to live in Quebec as we are submitting the sponsorship application here in Quebec?

Thank you and hoping to hear your response.
You can say where you intend to live when you get PR status. Where you might move between now and then is limited only by what you're allowed to do by whatever status you have in between.

patpot

Jul 14, 2023
Thank you for your reply, just wanted to confirm this info to avoid any rejection or confusion on the visa officer's side.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for your reply, just wanted to confirm this info to avoid any rejection or confusion on the visa officer's side.
Just one thing to note: right now, Quebec applications are estimated to take MUCH longer than other provinces. (Canadian domestic politics).

While we have no outright evidence this is happening, there MIGHT be some extra internal scrutiny to ensure that applicants aren't listing another province when their actual intent is to stay in Quebec (esp if already working there right now ie as in your case). This is speculation, but overall - we should assume that IRCC doesn't want to get in the midst of these internecine fights, and has a tendency to be cautious about applicants 'avoiding' things for their own convenience. (Just their mentality).

What to do? I don't know. You could include a short letter of explanation that you're planning to move to [province] because of work/family/whatever reasons. Don't go into a lot of detail, just facts, and keep it brief.

Note: it's possible you'd get a request for you to file for the quebec ministry's buy-in. Come back here and post if so. Hopefully your explanation will be enough to avoid this.