+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Need advice regarding message below

Monique23742

Sep 22, 2005
Gatineau, Quebec
Hi everyone!

Everytime I read about immigration, it's about skilled workers. I have a conjoint and we've been living together since 1977. She's American and retired. She is presently in Canada, owns half of our house and wants to receive her permanent resident visa. Everyone I talk to, even immigration, does not have any answers. She doesn't wish to work. She receives a good monthly pension. Why is it so hard to get good advice on how to proceed to get her visa? Her case is too simple maybe? I'm semi-retired and don't know if I could sponsor her financially. My family would be more than happy to sign affidavits pertaining to character references. What is the problem? I'm so confused with the federal laws and the provincial laws, as we live in Quebec, and apparently, she needs to be accepted first by Quebec and then Ottawa......???? Soooooooo confused!! I would appreciate any help and/or sound advice!

Thank you,

Monique23742@Yahoo.com

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Monique23742 said:
Hi everyone!

Everytime I read about immigration, it's about skilled workers. I have a conjoint and we've been living together since 1977. She's American and retired. She is presently in Canada, owns half of our house and wants to receive her permanent resident visa. Everyone I talk to, even immigration, does not have any answers. She doesn't wish to work. She receives a good monthly pension. Why is it so hard to get good advice on how to proceed to get her visa? Her case is too simple maybe? I'm semi-retired and don't know if I could sponsor her financially. My family would be more than happy to sign affidavits pertaining to character references. What is the problem? I'm so confused with the federal laws and the provincial laws, as we live in Quebec, and apparently, she needs to be accepted first by Quebec and then Ottawa......???? Soooooooo confused!! I would appreciate any help and/or sound advice!

Thank you,

Monique23742@Yahoo.com
I assume that you are a Canadian citizen? Then sponsor her, start your reading at: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/sponsor/index.html everything is there, guides, forms and instructions on in-canada applications and how to obtain CSQ from Quebec. Spousal C/Law applicantion sponsor do not have to meet Low Income Cutoff Figure, but do have to submit financial details with application. As long as you are not on welfare, except for disabiltiy, you can sponsor a spouse.

PMM

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:D If she is retired and can prove that she cans sustain herself, she will probably be accepted. You don't need to be married to sponsor her if you have been living together for more than a year and with both financial statements from you both proving you both have enough money to support her, then there will be no problem. Plus showing she has an asset in the sharing of the house with you.

I would sponsor her as your live in wife. If she has more money that you then she puts herself as principal applicant and that you are her conjoint de fait.

Otherwise she can apply as a skilled worker, but not say she isn't going to work as the amount of money she has if it is an amount sufficiant to support her until the end of her days, should be appealing. As money is always a big issue.

DancingFeather

Star Member
Jan 31, 2006
:) I should have asked you how old she is before saying applying for skilled worker.

You should have no trouble sponsering her on humanitarian grounds, since she has been living with you since 1997, she has made her life here with you and has nothing to go back to, that she has made friends etc and her life is here now. That is if the sponsoring her as your conjoint de fait doesn't work out.

Character references are always good but its more the financial end that has more clout.

Scott2539

Star Member
May 18, 2013
B.C. Lower Mainland
Category........
Visa Office......
Nairobi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-28-2013
Doc's Request.
06-25-2013
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
02-15-2013
Star Member

Ratings: +1
Category........: FAM
Visa Office......: Nairobi
App. Filed.......: 02-28-2013
Doc's Request.: 06-25-2013
Med's Request: N/A
Med's Done....: 02-15-2013

Re: Nairobi Applicants 2013???
« Reply #292 on: September 10, 2013, 04:38:52 pm »
Quote Modify Remove
I want to warn you friends if you have child overseas. Get them citizenship and passport. I have bad news CIC will not give my daughter visa they don't do this for Canadian citizen of birth rite.
So yes my wife will get visa but not my daughter. Now we have to apply for citzensjip and then Canadian passport. Urrrrg!!!!! This is real upsetting. While we work on this my MP will phone Nairobi to see if there is away around this
Any advice welcome

wowsers

Feb 6, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Monique23742 said:
Hi everyone!

Thank you,

Monique23742 @ Yahoo.com
You appear to have been reading the wrong literature and making the wrong inquiries. Read up on the CIC sites about family class sponsorship and resort to this site if there are any questions you need answers to (and there will be some I am sure: some of the forms are bewildering). Also read Leon's first post on this site as an introduction to the subject. I am in a similar situation to yours save that at present both of us are outside Canada, applying outland and not seeking residency in Quebec. I am the principal applicant , retired, living on and supporting us both on a pension and no longer interested in seeking employment.. My Canadian partner and sponsor is also retired, with a much smaller pension and a very small earned income: so semi retired like you. There is no minimum income requirement for sponsors sponsoring a spouse or common law partner, though disclosure in the application to sponsor is required. So far we have not encountered any real problem with our applications. Her sponsorship has been approved and my case is in process. The limited information you have given does not suggest that you are going to have any real problem either. Good luck!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
wowsers said:
You appear to have been reading the wrong literature and making the wrong inquiries. Read up on the CIC sites about family class sponsorship and resort to this site if there are any questions you need answers to (and there will be some I am sure: some of the forms are bewildering). Also read Leon's first post on this site as an introduction to the subject. I am in a similar situation to yours save that at present both of us are outside Canada, applying outland and not seeking residency in Quebec. I am the principal applicant , retired, living on and supporting us both on a pension and no longer interested in seeking employment.. My Canadian partner and sponsor is also retired, with a much smaller pension and a very small earned income: so semi retired like you. There is no minimum income requirement for sponsors sponsoring a spouse or common law partner, though disclosure in the application to sponsor is required. So far we have not encountered any real problem with our applications. Her sponsorship has been approved and my case is in process. The limited information you have given does not suggest that you are going to have any real problem either. Good luck!
Why are you responding to a thread that is 7.5 years old?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Scott2539 said:
Star Member

Ratings: +1
Category........: FAM
Visa Office......: Nairobi
App. Filed.......: 02-28-2013
Doc's Request.: 06-25-2013
Med's Request: N/A
Med's Done....: 02-15-2013

Re: Nairobi Applicants 2013???
« Reply #292 on: September 10, 2013, 04:38:52 pm »
Quote Modify Remove
I want to warn you friends if you have child overseas. Get them citizenship and passport. I have bad news CIC will not give my daughter visa they don't do this for Canadian citizen of birth rite.
So yes my wife will get visa but not my daughter. Now we have to apply for citzensjip and then Canadian passport. Urrrrg!!!!! This is real upsetting. While we work on this my MP will phone Nairobi to see if there is away around this
Any advice welcome
Did you post this in the wrong thread?