+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

need advice on best options

atcheruti

Feb 2, 2008
Hello,

I'm looking for advice on options for Canadian immigration.

I am a software professional currently in India. Last position held - Vice President for a company registered in India and the US. Previous to that I was a Software Lead Engineer in the US for 10 years. Now I am in the process of starting a company. My wife has a Ph.D. in Psychology from a large and internationally recognized University in India and a degree in Nursing. I have 17 years of experience in the software industry and my wife has over 20 years of experience in the area of Public Health and Policy.

We have several hundred thousand US dollars that we can invest but little experience as business owners.

Now the questions:
1. Can we hope to qualify for investor visas?
2. If not, how long would immigration really take on the basis of our professional qualifications and experience?
3. Would it be possible to land a job in Canada and apply for green cards after we get there? How long does it take to get GC's for Indians?

The second is really crucial because we think that we can contribute to Canada but if immigration is likely to take 5-6 years we have to consider not moving there at all.

Thanks in advance to all who can give us advice.

Regards

thaiguy

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2007
Vancouver
Hello atcheruti

A clarification: In the U.S., a permanent resident card is sometimes called a green card because of the color. In Canada, they just call it permanent residency or PR.

1. Here is the CIC link for investors and entrepreneurs. You can find all of the requirements for net worth, investment, etc. here.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/index.asp

I suggest instead that you apply as skilled workers. You should both take the assessment, to determine which applicant, as primary, would give you the most points. Here's the link.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

2. Since you were admitted at one time to the U.S. for at least 1 year, you're eligible to apply to the Buffalo visa office for PR - you don't have to go through Delhi. The Buffalo office is much faster, and would probably have your (joint) application completed in between 18 months and 2 years.

3. It will be very difficult to get a job offer in your situation. Most businesses don't want to deal with the red tape of hiring a foreigner without PR. But if you do, it could fast-track your application.

Personally, I think the best option for you is to just apply to Buffalo as a skilled worker. You could be in Canada in under 2 years.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

thaiguy said:
Hello atcheruti

A clarification: In the U.S., a permanent resident card is sometimes called a green card because of the color. In Canada, they just call it permanent residency or PR.

1. Here is the CIC link for investors and entrepreneurs. You can find all of the requirements for net worth, investment, etc. here.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/business/index.asp

I suggest instead that you apply as skilled workers. You should both take the assessment, to determine which applicant, as primary, would give you the most points. Here's the link.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/skilled/apply-who.asp

2. Since you were admitted at one time to the U.S. for at least 1 year, you're eligible to apply to the Buffalo visa office for PR - you don't have to go through Delhi. The Buffalo office is much faster, and would probably have your (joint) application completed in between 18 months and 2 years.

3. It will be very difficult to get a job offer in your situation. Most businesses don't want to deal with the red tape of hiring a foreigner without PR. But if you do, it could fast-track your application.

Personally, I think the best option for you is to just apply to Buffalo as a skilled worker. You could be in Canada in under 2 years.
The OP is not in the US, so he cannot apply to Buffalo.

PMM

atcheruti

Feb 2, 2008
Thanks thaiguy and PMM.

I take it that the best option for us is to apply in the Professional category and that we cannot apply from Buffalo because we are no longer in the US.

Given that it takes a long time for Delhi applications to be processed we're in for a long haul. That's sad
because I tried the test and we got well over 90 points.

Regards,
atcheruti

me_sang

Feb 5, 2008
Could someone please tell me about Centennial College ? I am planning to spend all my savings towards pursuing my education in Canada. I hold an offer from Centennial for Fall 2008.

Could someone please give an answer to the following?

Is Centennial College listed/recognized?

Can I expect placement assistance from the college?

Is it easy for me to get an employment in Canada?

My husband has done his SAP (IS Retail module) how good is the scope for him to get a work permit?

Assuming that i will perform really well and score good marks on all subjects, will I get a scholarship?

If Centennial is not the right choice, can you suggest me a college?

I am taking up the Post graduate diploma program in Interactive Digital Media, do you think the opportunities are good

Many thanks,
Maria