+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name issue RQ?

GoCanada1985

Jun 18, 2014
My wifes application has been in progress (shows on Ecas) since early September. We were very careful about ensuring we would not have an issue so as to avoid an RQ. My wife is from the Philippines. In the Philippines, when you get married, they just automatically drop your middle name, and take your maiden name as your new middle name, and your married name as your last name. In Canada, we were hopeful to do the same thing upon marriage, but it was not possible to change your middle name and thus we went with a hyphenated last name so that the names would basically appear the same. Once we renewed her Philippines passport as being married, while they recognize that she is married, they included the hyphenated name.

As apart of the citizenship application process, you are required to give any and all versions of your name, and it asks what name you want on your Visa. We were hopeful to make the name switch through this application so that we could finally start to have everything reconcile to the name she would like to have (Basically the same way as the Philippines treats her name). However we got a letter this week saying that she needs to pick between names that are on documents (Basically her maiden name, or her hyphenated married name).

So my question, would this request, (which is just a simple check one box an send back this letter) count as an RQ and thus greatly increase the application time?

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
GoCanada1985 said:
My wifes application has been in progress (shows on Ecas) since early September. We were very careful about ensuring we would not have an issue so as to avoid an RQ. My wife is from the Philippines. In the Philippines, when you get married, they just automatically drop your middle name, and take your maiden name as your new middle name, and your married name as your last name. In Canada, we were hopeful to do the same thing upon marriage, but it was not possible to change your middle name and thus we went with a hyphenated last name so that the names would basically appear the same. Once we renewed her Philippines passport as being married, while they recognize that she is married, they included the hyphenated name.

As apart of the citizenship application process, you are required to give any and all versions of your name, and it asks what name you want on your Visa. We were hopeful to make the name switch through this application so that we could finally start to have everything reconcile to the name she would like to have (Basically the same way as the Philippines treats her name). However we got a letter this week saying that she needs to pick between names that are on documents (Basically her maiden name, or her hyphenated married name).

So my question, would this request, (which is just a simple check one box an send back this letter) count as an RQ and thus greatly increase the application time?
No this is definitively NOT an RQ. Just supplementary info request. When you get an RQ, you know you have RQ'ed... You don't want that... Just pick a name as they requested and you should be good.

GoCanada1985

Jun 18, 2014
Just a quick update. We returned the letter back to Sidney and it was signed as received on October 15. It been a little over 3 weeks now and there has not been any kind of update on Ecas other then that they sent the letter to us on October 2. Does Ecas update at some point to say that they received our response? Or doesit only show updates on their end from things that they have done?

Thanks,

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
GoCanada1985 said:
Just a quick update. We returned the letter back to Sidney and it was signed as received on October 15. It been a little over 3 weeks now and there has not been any kind of update on Ecas other then that they sent the letter to us on October 2. Does Ecas update at some point to say that they received our response? Or doesit only show updates on their end from things that they have done?
No, ECAS will not update to show that they received your letter.

Also, changing her middle name and surname will require an actual legal name change. It's not something she can simply switch to like someone who just takes their spouse's surname. You will need to look up the name change requirements for your province.

RajevSantik

Star Member
Nov 10, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have issue with the names as well

My name as

1- A B C D E - in my passport
2- A B C E - in my PR
3- A B E - in my health card

Q1: can I use the health card as ID?

I Have the same issue with my daughter's school records, and health card

Can I provide the health card and the school record as this or I need to update records and issue new cards?

Thanks

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GoCanada1985 said:

dont worry its not a RQ. I have the same thing so in my canada passport its just my name and my husband surname. I drop my single family name.
Here in Canada they only use your name and surname. In philippines we have name middle name and surname.