+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name Discrepancy: Passport vs. Legal Name

andymack

Mar 21, 2021
Hi all - I am about to start the process to sponsor my husband (outland). However, the name on my Canadian 10-year passport is still my maiden name. Since I have not lived in Canada since before we were married, I never legally changed my name there. However, my legal name in the US is my married name.

I still have 13 months left on my passport before it expires. So at some point during the sponsorship process, I will need to get a new travel document with my married name.

The question is - Do you think this travel document/name change will be an nonissue? Or should I apply for my new passport ASAP and then apply to sponsor him once I have the Canadian passport with my updated name?

Thank you!

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi all - I am about to start the process to sponsor my husband (outland). However, the name on my Canadian 10-year passport is still my maiden name. Since I have not lived in Canada since before we were married, I never legally changed my name there. However, my legal name in the US is my married name.

I still have 13 months left on my passport before it expires. So at some point during the sponsorship process, I will need to get a new travel document with my married name.

The question is - Do you think this travel document/name change will be an nonissue? Or should I apply for my new passport ASAP and then apply to sponsor him once I have the Canadian passport with my updated name?

Thank you!
My view is that while it is generally not a big issue esp between USA and Canada, you would be best to apply for a new passport with name reflecting your current usage of it. Then you can apply to sponsor and just show that you've applied for a new passport etc (include copies). I'd suggest applying under the new (current) name. I am not however 100% certain about that last stage. I'm assuming you have lots of other US docs that show the name was changed by whatever applicalbe procedure (eg just using marriage certificate).

Note: there is usually no requirement to change your name legally in Canada as a separate process if you weren't residing in Canada. You changed your name in USA and Canada will generally recognize US change-of-name procedures for Canadians who were resident there when they did it.

So you did change your name. You just didn't update your Canadian docs (passport only really) at the time. Not really a big deal.

You could also apply for passport and wait until you get the revised one back. If your application isn't ready yet, just start getting it prepared and you can decide when you'rre closer to having it all ready.

andymack

Mar 21, 2021
My view is that while it is generally not a big issue esp between USA and Canada, you would be best to apply for a new passport with name reflecting your current usage of it. Then you can apply to sponsor and just show that you've applied for a new passport etc (include copies). I'd suggest applying under the new (current) name. I am not however 100% certain about that last stage. I'm assuming you have lots of other US docs that show the name was changed by whatever applicalbe procedure (eg just using marriage certificate).

Note: there is usually no requirement to change your name legally in Canada as a separate process if you weren't residing in Canada. You changed your name in USA and Canada will generally recognize US change-of-name procedures for Canadians who were resident there when they did it.

So you did change your name. You just didn't update your Canadian docs (passport only really) at the time. Not really a big deal.

You could also apply for passport and wait until you get the revised one back. If your application isn't ready yet, just start getting it prepared and you can decide when you'rre closer to having it all ready.
This is helpful. These small details are easy to overthink when I am trying to get everything just right, so I appreciate your response. It makes a lot of sense when I think about it that way. Thank you!

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I got married and I sponsored my husband a while ago. I haven't nor planned to change to use his lastname.

I do not see that as an issue.

maliahiilani

Jan 29, 2024
Hello!

I am a Canadian Citizen but I have not been a resident of the country since Oct 2021, thus I am unable to file my name change in Canada.

I now work and live in TX, USA.

can I file my legal adult name change in my county, will the name change allow me to get an updated passport and will it be accepted in Canada?

I am not changing my name due to marriage or divorce

Last edited: