+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change

Nithacharles

Jan 8, 2018
I came to Canada with Study permit .on study permit, work permit ,record of landing and in PR card my name remained the same no given name only last name as (nithacharles)because in my indian passport given name is Nithacharles no surname.If I split name in Indian passport as Given name Nitha and last name Charles.can I apply for the same change in my PR card and record of landing? Now I am eligible for applying citizenship.Is it wise to do name change now or after receiving citizenship certificate
Please advise

backendcode

Apr 18, 2014
Guelph
Hey, I had the same situation as yours. I consult with Immigration consultant and he advised me that it is a good idea to change the name right now while applying for citizenship.
According to your situation, right now you have no surname on old passport and new passport with a surname.

In order to change a name or get your new name on citizenship, First, you need to apply for legal name change certificate at provincial office depend upon what province are you living in. In my case, I applied for legal name change certificate at service Ontario and it cost me $130 and processing time was 8 weeks (2 months aprox)

I hope it will help.

Thank you,

Nithacharles

Jan 8, 2018
Hey, I had the same situation as yours. I consult with Immigration consultant and he advised me that it is a good idea to change the name right now while applying for citizenship.
According to your situation, right now you have no surname on old passport and new passport with a surname.

In order to change a name or get your new name on citizenship, First, you need to apply for legal name change certificate at provincial office depend upon what province are you living in. In my case, I applied for legal name change certificate at service Ontario and it cost me $130 and processing time was 8 weeks (2 months aprox)

I hope it will help.

Thank you,
Thank you for the reply.Did you make name change in your PRcard before applying for citizenship with the legal name

leicesterguy

Oct 5, 2017
I have the same situation as you.

I legally changed my name before I applied Citizenship, and I didn't change the name on PR card. Just mail them the Certificate of Name Change from provincial government.

When you fill up the application form for citizenship, you will see the question to ask if you have changed your name and which name you will use for the application.

Becksterd

Apr 15, 2010
Edmonton, AB
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
05-2013
IELTS Request
14-02-2014
Med's Request
10-2013
Med's Done....
11-2013
Passport Req..
02-2014
VISA ISSUED...
02-2014
LANDED..........
04-2014
Leicesterguy is correct! don't need to change the name on PR card.

Thank you,
my name has been written in the wrong order in my indian passport so all docs like PR COPR and SIN have the names in the wrong order (ive lived in canada a long time before PR and my drivers lic. bank docs etc have my name in the right order). now I need to apply for citizenship and i'm wondering if I should go ahead with old wrong name and after citizenship do a legal name change and then put that in my cad passport?