+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change in Indian Passport as a PR. Residing in Toronto, ON.

Mozy

Aug 17, 2015
Hey hello everyone,

I just wanted to check if anyone can give me information regarding change of name.

Right now, I've like 4 names coz of some miscommunication when I applied for my first passport back in India.

In my family, there's no such thing as surname. But I do have 2 given names. So, when I applied for passport, since we need a surname, someone suggested to use my dad's name as my surname. So, I used my 2 names as given name and my dad's 2 names as my surname. And now I got stuck with 4 names. (didn't really think it through that time, and I was just a teen back then... haha...)

So for example, (just using pseudo names... haha) in my current passport, my name is,

Given Name : Luffy Monkey
Surname: Dragon Garp

I moved to Canada in 2015 as a student and I just went with the 4 names but it is actually giving me a lot of trouble and being a pain in the butt. And also I don't like people calling me by my surname as I just see it as my dad's name and never been called with that my entire life and I don't want to accept it as my name.

And now that I turned PR last month, I wish to erase my surname and split my given name into first and last name.
So, I want my new name to be like,

Given Name: Luffy
Surname: Monkey

I did some research and I understand that I can easily change my name in Canada as a PR and get a name change certificate to update info on my PR card, Driver's License, Health Card, etc.

However, changing the name on my passport (Indian) sounds a little complicated... And the information is not very clear and not very sufficient in BLS site.

From what I understand, I need
  • Clippings of 2 local newspapers. (I did some research on it and found that I need to publish ads on two different newspapers one from Toronto(current residence) and one from Madras(my home city in India), please correct me if I'm wrong though.. But can they be in any newspaper? Or is there any specific or authorized newspaper? And do you guys have any suggestions on newspaper (especially in Toronto)? And when I publish the ads, do I need to submit the original clipping? If so, is mailing the newspaper from someone from India, the only option?)
  • Gazette notification from concerned State government. (I don't even know what that is and how to get it. I've read somewhere that I need some sort of affidavit. Not sure if the affidavit and gazzette notification are the same. Still I don't know how and where to get it. Any hep would be appreciated in that regard.)
  • At least two public/school documents issued in the desired/applied changed name. Since there's no such thing as given name and surname where I'm from. All my certificates including my Birth certificate, Schooling degrees, driver's license and everything else have only my first name ie, Luffy Monkey. So can I use any of those certificates to show that they're indeed my first and last name? However, in those certificates, an initial of my dad's name is also included, so my name in full in those certificates is like, D Luffy Monkey. (with D representing the initial of my Dad's name.) So, will that be an issue?
  • And last thing, will it be ok for me to change my name in Canada from Service Ontario before changing my name in passport or do I need to change in passport first to change in Canada?

Please, help me with anything you might know.
Thanks in advance. Have a great day, everyone!

Reactions: dikshasingh

Mozy

Aug 17, 2015
Not really the same case... they are just splitting the name in their passport which to my knowledge doesn't require the procedures.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why don't you wait until you became Canadian citizen and give up your Indian nationality? At least, you won't have to worry about the Indian part and less complicated.

Mozy

Aug 17, 2015
Hmmm... Because I'm facing a lot of troubles because of it... At work (my name mismatches in credits) and personal reasons (I don't like to be addressed by my dad's name and a name I've never gone by in my entire life)... So, I'd like to resolve it ASAP.

rimi3008

Jul 14, 2013
vancouver
Visa Office......
NDVO
App. Filed.......
13-03-2014
AOR Received.
15-04-2014
File Transfer...
31-03-2014
Med's Request
11-06-2014
Med's Done....
13-06-2014
Passport Req..
11-11-2014
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2014
LANDED..........
06-12-2014
Hmmm... Because I'm facing a lot of troubles because of it... At work (my name mismatches in credits) and personal reasons (I don't like to be addressed by my dad's name and a name I've never gone by in my entire life)... So, I'd like to resolve it ASAP.
OMG I'm in same boat.What happened next in your name change? have you changed it or not? If yes, please guide me as well. Thanks

ayn.rand

Nov 9, 2018
I am also facing a similar situation. Planning to take up husband's surname instead of my maiden name. I haven't landed yet. If someone has any idea as to how to proceed, please do reply. Thanks.

dikshasingh

Jan 15, 2019
Hello, I'm in a similar situation. Did your name change issue get resolved? I'd really appreciate guidance and clarity on this as well.

alka2378

Jul 8, 2019
Hey hello everyone,

I just wanted to check if anyone can give me information regarding change of name.

Right now, I've like 4 names coz of some miscommunication when I applied for my first passport back in India.

In my family, there's no such thing as surname. But I do have 2 given names. So, when I applied for passport, since we need a surname, someone suggested to use my dad's name as my surname. So, I used my 2 names as given name and my dad's 2 names as my surname. And now I got stuck with 4 names. (didn't really think it through that time, and I was just a teen back then... haha...)

So for example, (just using pseudo names... haha) in my current passport, my name is,

Given Name : Luffy Monkey
Surname: Dragon Garp

I moved to Canada in 2015 as a student and I just went with the 4 names but it is actually giving me a lot of trouble and being a pain in the butt. And also I don't like people calling me by my surname as I just see it as my dad's name and never been called with that my entire life and I don't want to accept it as my name.

And now that I turned PR last month, I wish to erase my surname and split my given name into first and last name.
So, I want my new name to be like,

Given Name: Luffy
Surname: Monkey

I did some research and I understand that I can easily change my name in Canada as a PR and get a name change certificate to update info on my PR card, Driver's License, Health Card, etc.

However, changing the name on my passport (Indian) sounds a little complicated... And the information is not very clear and not very sufficient in BLS site.

From what I understand, I need
  • Clippings of 2 local newspapers. (I did some research on it and found that I need to publish ads on two different newspapers one from Toronto(current residence) and one from Madras(my home city in India), please correct me if I'm wrong though.. But can they be in any newspaper? Or is there any specific or authorized newspaper? And do you guys have any suggestions on newspaper (especially in Toronto)? And when I publish the ads, do I need to submit the original clipping? If so, is mailing the newspaper from someone from India, the only option?)
  • Gazette notification from concerned State government. (I don't even know what that is and how to get it. I've read somewhere that I need some sort of affidavit. Not sure if the affidavit and gazzette notification are the same. Still I don't know how and where to get it. Any hep would be appreciated in that regard.)
  • At least two public/school documents issued in the desired/applied changed name. Since there's no such thing as given name and surname where I'm from. All my certificates including my Birth certificate, Schooling degrees, driver's license and everything else have only my first name ie, Luffy Monkey. So can I use any of those certificates to show that they're indeed my first and last name? However, in those certificates, an initial of my dad's name is also included, so my name in full in those certificates is like, D Luffy Monkey. (with D representing the initial of my Dad's name.) So, will that be an issue?
  • And last thing, will it be ok for me to change my name in Canada from Service Ontario before changing my name in passport or do I need to change in passport first to change in Canada?

Please, help me with anything you might know.
Thanks in advance. Have a great day, everyone!
Hi,
Did you get any reference on local Newspaper in Canada. My passport has my spouse name incomplete and i am being asked to follow the same process by BLS and Consulate.
Any leads will be helpful.
Thanks
Alka

Mar 15, 2021
Hello Mozy, I am dealing with same issues because of having only one nam, i.e. Given Name on my passport. Now I would like to add my Surname as well, however, I have no other proofs to show that I had a Surname ever. I am looking for the answers of same questions that you had raised back in 2018.

Can you please assist me with with process and help me understand where should I start from?