+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change during application - Complicated!

mshennawi

Apr 19, 2018
Hi All,

I am seeking your experience and guidance with a complicated situation. I am trying to decide whether to withdraw a non-routine application for citizenship grant and start over or to continue the existing application.

My son (a minor) had his last name mis-spelt in his original passport. Before landing in Canada, we got a new passport for him with the correct last name. Of course, his confirmation of permanent residence was issued based on the wrong name.

At landing time, we presented the old and new passports along with a birth certificate to the immigration officer. They promised to try and correct the name, but that was not possible. His PR card was issued with the wrong name. I got some advice to wait until applying for citizenship and correct the name in the application (I shouldn't have listened).

Currently, the situation is as follows:

• Citizenship application was received on on October 25, 2017
  • AOR on November 30, 2017
  • Started processing on December 19, 2017
  • Called IRCC in March 2018, they said the application is non-routine due to the name change
  • Inquiry through our MP on March 15th, 2018 revealed that application is at "program support". The criminality verifications have not yet been initiated. The security verifications have not yet been initiated.
  • We completed a legal change of name and submitted it to IRCC on April 7th, 2018
  • April 16th, 2018, we asked through our MP, which would be faster, to withdraw and resubmit the application (hopefully as a routine case this time) or to continue the application.

Below is a summary of the response from IRCC. They acknowledged receipt of the legal change of name and followed to say

"Please note that once an application is non-routine, there is no specific processing times to finalize it.

Should your constituent decide to withdraw the current application to submit a new one, they must send their request by mail. The instructions, as well as information regarding refunds, are available on our website."​

Has anyone had a similar case? What would you recommend? Shall I withdraw the application and start over or keep the existing case going? If I withdraw and resubmit, will the new application be non-routine too?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Shennawi.

aililia

Star Member
Nov 12, 2012
Hi All,

I am seeking your experience and guidance with a complicated situation. I am trying to decide whether to withdraw a non-routine application for citizenship grant and start over or to continue the existing application.

My son (a minor) had his last name mis-spelt in his original passport. Before landing in Canada, we got a new passport for him with the correct last name. Of course, his confirmation of permanent residence was issued based on the wrong name.

At landing time, we presented the old and new passports along with a birth certificate to the immigration officer. They promised to try and correct the name, but that was not possible. His PR card was issued with the wrong name. I got some advice to wait until applying for citizenship and correct the name in the application (I shouldn't have listened).

Currently, the situation is as follows:

• Citizenship application was received on on October 25, 2017
  • AOR on November 30, 2017
  • Started processing on December 19, 2017
  • Called IRCC in March 2018, they said the application is non-routine due to the name change
  • Inquiry through our MP on March 15th, 2018 revealed that application is at "program support". The criminality verifications have not yet been initiated. The security verifications have not yet been initiated.
  • We completed a legal change of name and submitted it to IRCC on April 7th, 2018
  • April 16th, 2018, we asked through our MP, which would be faster, to withdraw and resubmit the application (hopefully as a routine case this time) or to continue the application.

Below is a summary of the response from IRCC. They acknowledged receipt of the legal change of name and followed to say

"Please note that once an application is non-routine, there is no specific processing times to finalize it.

Should your constituent decide to withdraw the current application to submit a new one, they must send their request by mail. The instructions, as well as information regarding refunds, are available on our website."​

Has anyone had a similar case? What would you recommend? Shall I withdraw the application and start over or keep the existing case going? If I withdraw and resubmit, will the new application be non-routine too?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Shennawi.
I have the same timeline and situation. I think it would only be considered a routine application if you correct the name on PR card and then apply for citizenship. Otherwise it is still a non-routine application. I would suggest to be patient and wait.

mshennawi

Apr 19, 2018
Many thanks for your response, aililia. I think this is likely the best option.

We need to renew tha PR cards now too. We will apply with the legal change of name to correct the PR card. I hope the renewal doesn’t take too long.

Thanks,
Shennawi.