+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change/correction -- confusing mess

s3nr1

Star Member
May 11, 2013
Hi, a bit of confusion of what to do. Following is an example(not real) but my name is very European, that's why my name comes off as strange:

Birth name: John Walker (this is all the First name, we do not have Last names)

Father's name: Matthew Bush

Name on passport during youth, travelling with parents: John Walker Bush (as you can see appended part of Father's name as a last name because it was needed back then to have a last name).

Name in HS school, college diploma, etc: John Bush because as mentioned my first name is a unhyphened two first European names and parents thought to save me the ridicule.

Name on PR: wanting to be as consistent as possible with passport, I put in birth name (John Walker) and part of my father's name (Bush).

Right now PR/Passport: John Walker(First name) Bush (Last name).

It's completely optional but how hard is it to change that into the following, because Equifax, TU, DMV can't seem to grapple with the concept of a first name being two names, they put the second part as a middle name. Which is what I do want to do:

First: John
Middle: Walker
Last: Bush

Or should I wait until Citizenship to change?

Thanks!

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
To change your name you need to go through the legal process of a name change in your province.

I'm not sure your experience with the credit agencies and the DMV (America?) but most places should be able to comprehend a double-first name since it's exceptionally common in one part of this country at least, and people do move around.