+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Name change advice needed immidiately.

sayadil

Star Member
Sep 7, 2016
hi
my wife became a Permanent resident last year along with our kids. We are currently in india since covid and just realised her indian passport will be expiring within 3 months.
Now we wanted to get her maiden name changed in passport along with renewal. So her first name will be same but last name will be mine.
Now question is will we face any problem on re entry into canada with a different surname though her previous passport will be attached.

Other option is to return on passport with 3 months expiry if thats allowed as some countries insist on 6 month validity but since our PR card is valid to enter canada for next 3 yrs will this be a problem. She has my last name on many other documents and only passport is where her maiden name still exists.

please advice how to do this?? Canadian embassy here in Delhi not picking up any calls or replying to querries through email either.

lampbreaker

Champion Member
Apr 7, 2015
That's fine. You can get it renewed before traveling. Just carry the old passport and marriage certificate also when you travel.
If you were planning to travel to Canada before the current expiry date anyway, then you can travel without renewing also.