+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My winding road ends but my hearts sores

Chen Yiyang

Mar 8, 2023
My winding road to Canada finally came to an end when I landed in Montreal in September 11. But my destination, Montreal, no longer looks familiar to me, after all the changes happened during long years of departure. The following is a letter written during my most desperate days before June to the minister of IRCC but kept unsent. I honestly share my feelings by then and I do not wish my experience to recur to others.

My winding road of immigration to Canada still afoot... | Canada Immigration Forum (canadavisa.com)
My winding road of immigration to Canada, still under my feet... | Canada Immigration Forum (canadavisa.com)

Last edited:

Chen Yiyang

Mar 8, 2023
Dear Minister,

I have been experiencing emotional cycles of hope and disappointment for my application over the past long years. IRCC promised to finish processing an immigration application in the category of Québec experience program in one year, when I passed my French proficiency exam of B2 to obtain the Certificat de Sélection du Québec in 2016. However, my application was transferred to Hongkong for no apparent reason, after I went back to China in 2016 to look after my family affair. IRCC HK took over my case but kept withholding its decision, failing to establish communication with me in a meaningful manner, especially between 2018 and 2019 when no information update came to my application, and in October 2022 when I was again required to provide my personal history after the age of 18 (I was already 38 years-old by then, it took me a lot of pain to reflect on the past 20 years) and obtain a new non-criminal-record certificate from RCMP for my stay in Canada before May 25, 2016 (I already included a non-criminal-record certificate issued by RCMP in 2016 into my original application, before I left Canada in 2016). It has been a confusing practice of IRCC HK to ask me to take the expensive medical examination first, then either leave me waiting for years before sending me a renewed request of medical examination, or leaving me waiting for many months before granting me a very narrow temporal window to submit various supportive materials. The long delay finally led to upsurge of uncontrollable variables within and without my family, when the Chinese citizens in Shanghai were confined at home in 2022 by the unfair COVID-19 lockdown policy. I was strong enough to withhold depression, but my parents suffered in their old age from all senses of unfairness mixed together. My vision of a new life with my ex-wife in Canada cracked like a bubble, after alienation worn down conjugal relation during the lockdown and post-lockdown period.

From my understanding of IRCC’s department regulations, a delay that more than doubles the normal processing time should be regarded as abnormal. Without tenable justification, the delay should be considered as a denial of the procedure justice to the applicant. Considering that my application was already undergoing background checking early in 2018 (which is confirmed by two official emails from IRCC HK, the first in November 6 2018 and the second in August 26 2019, stating that my application is pending the results of background checks, in response to my inquiries about application progress), and taking into account the official letter I received around January 21 2023, that made extra demand for a recent CV and a non-existing military record of mine (I thereby submitted a solemn statement to declare my non-involvement with any political party and any military organization after the age of 18, despite my master degree in cryptography labelled with the category of military science by Shanghai Jiaotong University in 2010), I believe that the background check on my person, continued over long years by IRCC HK, had been the crucial cause of the long delay in processing my application. The background check procedure had been kept underway, or rather, overstretched under extraordinary conditions, without any conclusion until the beginning of 2023. I find from reliable sources that IRCC agencies normally investigate an applicant’s history over the past five years before the day of application, while I already graduated from Shanghai Jiaotong University (where my first master degree is obtained from) in 2010 and obtained a student visa and a CAQ from Canada in 2011, six years before 2016 when my application was submitted. Therefore, I feel the stubborn suspicion from some IRCC HK officer, and I believe that it had been rooted prejudice that had been leading down a winding path for my return to Canada, i.e., lasting but unfounded suspicion of a hidden military record. Under such circumstance, I request a review of the decision-making process over my case, in order to verify the existence of prejudice from IRCC HK.

I fully understand that IRCC HK has the right to reinforce national security and select certain applicants for close scrutiny. But the office should prioritize its function to deliver basic service, regard all applicants as valuable customers and operate in time with transparency. The office should have enough consideration for an applicant’s personal welfare (I think a background checking spanning more than four years should be more than enough to lead to a meaningful conclusion, rather than the eventual little progress reflected by the overdue inquiry in January 21 2023 from the IRCC HK office), sufficient understanding and expectation of difficulties from applicants in special periods (It was still very difficult to enter a notarization institute for my fingerprint certificate in the late half of 2022 in Shanghai in the post-lockdown period. Moreover, it was extremely difficult at that period to mail my fingerprint certificate from China to Canada and obtain the non-criminal-record certificate from RCMP in the given length of one month by IRCC. Consequently, RCMP barely issued the certificate before the deadline of 19 November 2022) and adequate knowledge of recent law updates (The new marriage law in China enacted in the beginning of 2021 prerequires a cooling period of one month officially registered before formal divorce, in my case. IRCC HK agreed to put off the deadline from March 24 2023 to May 24 2023 after I pointed out this requirement in law, so I could barely obtain the divorce certificate before the deadline) in the applicant’s resident country. It is my thought that the office should set a reasonable time length for the investigation, even if they truly regarded me as a potential threat to the national security. Even a timely refusal of the application, based on good reason, could be regarded as a benign act to save extra unnecessary financial and emotional investment from the applicant. Instead, such a long waiting stretched from my early thirties to my late thirties in silence, forming a twisted path of pain and indignity. My ex-wife and I got married in November 2019, then I included her into my permanent residence application in 2020. She started a hope of new life in Canada, but her hope faded through endless waiting, and finally the image of Canada lost appeal to her. I feel very sorry for all the challenges brought to her by the permanent residence application procedure before we proceed to divorce.

Reactions: battylife

Chen Yiyang

Mar 8, 2023
Dear minister, my plan for life in Canada is seriously blurred by the continuous impact of this unfortunate long delay. The vision of friends lost in contact, rotten clothes and furniture of unknown whereabouts, and a longtime frozen bank account balance bodes quite ill on my arrival in Canada. Although my status of permanent residence in Canada has been gained from IRCC HK, deep exhaustion and sense of loss take up my thoughts, after all the extra countless efforts (taking leaves from workplace to go to various institutes for medical examinations, police certificates, notarizations and international carriage service) and the extra lots of money (application fees, agency fees, seven times of medical examination fees for me and my ex-wife, notarization fees, expedited mail fees, additional management fees extracted from my frozen bank account disabled in generation of interest, large cost in arranging the divorce, all of which could have been put to better use to help with my career) costed in dealing with the unexpected long delay. The financial cost only pales against the disturbance of plans and the affliction in emotions. I left Canada in my early thirties to look after my grandfather back in China. I thought Canada is a country that protects people with law and democracy, so I was planning to return to Canada within three years, and start an educational entrepreneurship with my friends in Montreal after gaining a most current experience of the booming STEM education market in China running across different age levels. In reality, however, I have to return in a middle-aged man past divorce, released from the long COVID-19 lockdown, with bank account frozen, belongings missing and links gone. I could not help experiencing waves of desolation and distraction worming into my heart. The thoughts struck me constantly that my preparations for a timely start of my career in Canada had been done in vain.

Dear minister, please allow me to hereby express my grave concerns toward the service quality of IRCC HK office, based on the aforementioned handling of my permanent residence application.
The COVID-19 pandemic in the past three years is not a universal justification for the delay, while an underestimation of the pandemic’s social impact can lead to prolonged stubborn delay, give birth to destructive elements and put an applicant’s life in disarray. It is a basic requirement for a government institute to handle an application with full attention, reduce uncertainties in special times, rather than assign inconvenient tasks followed by an overdue inquiry to an applicant, only to fail the service standard by an extraordinary extent. IRCC HK should revise the work style, e.g., follow the regular routine in both time and order, add enough transparency to the process, and above all, demonstrate acceptable professionalism in the assessment. After all, it is pointless to ruin an applicant’s life plan by causing an unnecessary delay in processing of his/her application, and it grants no honor to any public servant to operate in a mystical and prejudicial way.

Dear minister, I have been painfully wondering if I really deserved this inhumane treatment of being virtually quarantined outside Canada by IRCC HK over the past six years, with my application caught between the status of getting an order of medical examination and the status of pending for decision. But I have to reschedule my life plan, no matter what hazard I met. I resigned from my position in East China Normal University, in preparation of moving to Canada this year. However, I had to again plan for living outside Canada, knowing from past experience that the strike of IRCC erupted in 2023 will most likely cause indefinite delay in processing immigration documents. Thus, I applied for PHD study in metaverse in Sydney Technology University in Australia. I have been developing a strong wish for easy and fair life experiences to people, good experiences denied by misfortune yet obtainable through virtual interactions. I have to replan my future life across Australia and Canada, and explore opportunities to reestablish myself in Montreal. I liked to stay in Canada once I get the permit, but now I have become much older in age and wary of uncontrollable factors ahead. I should invest my time very carefully from now on, and I must take full control of my next six years in my life.

Dear minister, this long delay dragged my family through a long detrimental process, which we have neither experienced nor expected from a Canadian government institution before. However, I shall thank you for your willingness and patience to review this long letter from an ordinary applicant. I know that changes are going on in your department to embrace a more open attitude for people coming to Canada, while your helpful gestures are invaluable to all the applicants whose journey to Canada are unfortunately stranded halfway.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
My winding road to Canada finally came to an end when I landed in Montreal in September 11. But my destination, Montreal, no longer looks familiar to me, after all the changes happened during long years of departure. And I cannot feel exhilaration for the moment due to deep exhaustion in the past. The following is a letter written during my most desperate days in June to the minister of IRCC but kept unsent. I do not wish my experience to recur to others.

My winding road of immigration to Canada still afoot... | Canada Immigration Forum (canadavisa.com)
My winding road of immigration to Canada, still under my feet... | Canada Immigration Forum (canadavisa.com)
Here's the best advice I can give you.

You need to move on. This is the best thing you can do for your own future, as well as mental health.

You need to put all of this behind you, stop focusing on it so much, and focus on the present and your future (not the past). If you continue to dwell on the past, you'll continue to pull yourself down. The more you continue to post about how negative you feel the more you bring up the past again for yourself. It's a cycle. You need to get past that cycle and look forward and focus forward. (And yes, I know, easlier said than done.)

If you cannot move past all of this and continue to live in Canada, then consider returning to your home country if you feel that will be better for your mental health.

I sincerely wish you all the best and wish you lots of positive thinking and positive thoughts.

Reactions: Naturgrl

Chen Yiyang

Mar 8, 2023
Here's the best advice I can give you.

You need to move on. This is the best thing you can do for your own future, as well as mental health.

You need to put all of this behind you, stop focusing on it so much, and focus on the present and your future (not the past). If you continue to dwell on the past, you'll continue to pull yourself down. The more you continue to post about how negative you feel the more you bring up the past again for yourself. It's a cycle. You need to get past that cycle and look forward and focus forward. (And yes, I know, easlier said than done.)

If you cannot move past all of this and continue to live in Canada, then consider returning to your home country if you feel that will be better for your mental health.

I sincerely wish you all the best and wish you lots of positive thinking and positive thoughts.
Sure. Thank you very much for your advice.

I just honestly shared my thoughts in the past. I am an optimist, but everyone has time of depression. Given the treatment no appliicant really deserves.

After writing this I feel much better.