+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My wife’s passport is different her marriage certificate!!

GladiatorAnc

Nov 27, 2020
Hi guys!! I am currently working on the papers to sponsor my wife from Brazil. We recently got married and she added my last name to the marriage certificate. So her name on the marriage certificate is Priscila Moura de Souza Côté. However her name on her passport has not yet been updated and is still under her maiden name of Priscila Moura de Souza. Will there be an issue if we start the sponsoring process right away using her current passport with her maiden name or should we wait until she gets a new passport using my last name? Could we get a new passport later on and notify immigration about the change of name? I’d like to know what is the best procedure for us at this time. Thank you all for your support and I hope I expressed my doubts clearly.

GladiatorAnc

Nov 27, 2020
Just as an extra information. Her legal name in Brazil is now Priscila Moura de Souza Côté, so all of her Brazilian identification papers and new signatures will be under this name. Only her passport has not yet been changed and is currently under her maiden name.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Just as an extra information. Her legal name in Brazil is now Priscila Moura de Souza Côté, so all of her Brazilian identification papers and new signatures will be under this name. Only her passport has not yet been changed and is currently under her maiden name.
That should be fine. You can include a short letter of explanation that new passport not yet issued.

Since the custom seems to be to add your name I doubt it will cause any confusion.