+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My only fear before taking the decision to study in Canada

Khaled92

Oct 14, 2018
Hello, I'm considering moving to Canada through education. My only fear is after spending my entire savings on a study program, I wouldn't be able to find a job in the study field after graduation even though I would be working blue collar jobs while searching for a job related to my field and the Canadian government asks me to leave or get deported because my time is up in Canada. Is that possible. Can anyone tell cases where international students did not succeed in securing jobs after graduation and the Canadian government deported them.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Your question is very general. (no specific on field of study, type of education, type of career)
So, yes, it's possible. Canada do not expect or allow ALL international students to stay forever in Canada after they finish their education.

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
Hello, I'm considering moving to Canada through education. My only fear is after spending my entire savings on a study program, I wouldn't be able to find a job in the study field after graduation even though I would be working blue collar jobs while searching for a job related to my field and the Canadian government asks me to leave or get deported because my time is up in Canada. Is that possible. Can anyone tell cases where international students did not succeed in securing jobs after graduation and the Canadian government deported them.
What type of program are you planning/thinking of study? Does it make you eligible for PGWP? - Let's assume you are going for a program that makes you eligible to apply for a Work permit after graduation. - It doesn't really matter if the job you get after graduation isn't related to what you studied. That being said, I still believe that with preparation, and really being committed to find a job in the field of your studies is not that hard to find a good job. - I studied in a very small school, got my bachelors degree and got two job offers within three weeks of applying. I took full advantage of any career coaching program during my studies and volunteered while working part time to gain experience in my field.

I'm currently working in a place I like and in the field of my studies - I received my diploma in December.

If you're willing to put in the work things will work out and you'll find a good job!

Reactions: anuragipushp

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You won't be deported. However if you don't end up finding a job and then subsequently qualifying for PR then you will need to leave Canada once your PGWP expires. Not everyone is successful in getting PR. There's always some risk you might not. Make sure you take a 2 year program in Canada so that you qualify for a 3 year PGWP and give yourself the best chance at securing PR.

Yes, there are definitely cases where international students haven't gotten PR.

Reactions: nickgrizzly

Khaled92

Oct 14, 2018
What type of program are you planning/thinking of study? Does it make you eligible for PGWP? - Let's assume you are going for a program that makes you eligible to apply for a Work permit after graduation. - It doesn't really matter if the job you get after graduation isn't related to what you studied. That being said, I still believe that with preparation, and really being committed to find a job in the field of your studies is not that hard to find a good job. - I studied in a very small school, got my bachelors degree and got two job offers within three weeks of applying. I took full advantage of any career coaching program during my studies and volunteered while working part time to gain experience in my field.

I'm currently working in a place I like and in the field of my studies - I received my diploma in December.

If you're willing to put in the work things will work out and you'll find a good job!
I'm considering studying a 2-year diploma in health information management and yes the program is eligible for PGWP. I have no problem working in any field after graduation as long as this will help me get PR.

Khaled92

Oct 14, 2018
You won't be deported. However if you don't end up finding a job and then subsequently qualifying for PR then you will need to leave Canada once your PGWP expires. Not everyone is successful in getting PR. There's always some risk you might not. Make sure you take a 2 year program in Canada so that you qualify for a 3 year PGWP and give yourself the best chance at securing PR.

Yes, there are definitely cases where international students haven't gotten PR.
Why are not people successful in getting PR? Can I get PR if I worked in a job not directly to my field of study after graduation?

Reactions: oladele493

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Why are not people successful in getting PR? Can I get PR if I worked in a job not directly to my field of study after graduation?
There can be lots of different reasons for not managing to get PR. This can include not finding a skilled job, not managing to get at least one year of work experience in a skilled job and not having enough points to be selected for PR.

nickgrizzly

Star Member
May 16, 2022
BC
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Calgary, Montreal
Med's Request
09-05-2023
Med's Done....
10-05-2023
LANDED..........
08-06-2023
I'm considering studying a 2-year diploma in health information management and yes the program is eligible for PGWP. I have no problem working in any field after graduation as long as this will help me get PR.
I assume you already check the program and DLI makes you eligible for PGWP, if so, you should be fine finding a job, what you're planning on studying has a lot of jobs and probably will keep opening positions, if you are worried about prospective jobs, income, etc. search for entry level jobs in that are and check how many job postings are online and the initial salary, that should give you an idea of the job market in your field.

orwell46

Apr 29, 2020
You are expressing generic fears and others have already chimed in. Of course with so many variables, PR is no guaranteed even if you find an employer who says finish your diploma and I have a job waiting for you. But I will say this, unless you come from a country where your life is threatened, do not sink your life savings into a degree hoping it will help you buy your way into a PR status. In fact, your investment into this should only be to a certain extent that if things do not work out, you can still treat it as an overpriced vacation and get on with your life.
Canada is a very expensive country and I feel among comparable countries, cost of groceries and essentials are perhaps the highest in the world. Affordable housing is non existent in places like Toronto and contrary to what is written and promised, you can be taken advantage of as soon as it is evident that you are on a temporary status with limited means. Something as basic as housing will require a Canadian credit history which you, as a new and temp resident, will obviously not have as soon as you get here. Getting survival jobs can also be difficult and not a breeze and inflation is taking a heavy toll on everyday essentials.
What I have written is just a tip of the iceberg and life is certainly not a breeze contrary to what you see on YT videos and the rosy pictures painted online. So look at it objectively and dont put all your eggs in one basket

Reactions: Khaled92

Khaled92

Oct 14, 2018
You are expressing generic fears and others have already chimed in. Of course with so many variables, PR is no guaranteed even if you find an employer who says finish your diploma and I have a job waiting for you. But I will say this, unless you come from a country where your life is threatened, do not sink your life savings into a degree hoping it will help you buy your way into a PR status. In fact, your investment into this should only be to a certain extent that if things do not work out, you can still treat it as an overpriced vacation and get on with your life.
Canada is a very expensive country and I feel among comparable countries, cost of groceries and essentials are perhaps the highest in the world. Affordable housing is non existent in places like Toronto and contrary to what is written and promised, you can be taken advantage of as soon as it is evident that you are on a temporary status with limited means. Something as basic as housing will require a Canadian credit history which you, as a new and temp resident, will obviously not have as soon as you get here. Getting survival jobs can also be difficult and not a breeze and inflation is taking a heavy toll on everyday essentials.
What I have written is just a tip of the iceberg and life is certainly not a breeze contrary to what you see on YT videos and the rosy pictures painted online. So look at it objectively and dont put all your eggs in one basket
Thank you. Your advice is really helpful. My local currency is keeping deterioration and they prevent us from converting it to any foreign currency so every time I save money for education it loses its value and I have to start over. Maybe overthinking is making me considering risky choices. I just had enough of living in a country like this. I'm also not religious unlike the majority of my muslim country which makes me pretending to be someone else or I could get in trouble permanently. My mental health is deteriorating and there is no way out.

Valeurs2005

May 29, 2021
What you describe is many´s situation and that is why everyone wants to come to Canada to study and then try for the PR. If you are going to risk everything that you have, it should be a smart decision to be better and earn more than in your country. Otherwise, you would be worse off.

DesiPikachu

Jan 13, 2021
You're thinking way too far in the future - you don't even have a study permit in your hands yet. A 3 year PGWP is more than enough to get permanent residency via PNPs (worst case scenario).