+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My experience with TEF Canada and TCF Canada and what I make of it. Please share.

wasi1972

Jan 29, 2018
I don't think it will give you a lot of points. You need a B2 superior grade in all modules. Keep on going though, you will get there.
Will I get A1 as per Canada CLB benchmark for immigration in speaking? I am confused as A1 requires 180 marks and I got 153. Although I got A2 level as per the TEF certificate

wasi1972

Jan 29, 2018
Hi Wasi1972, you have Clb 5, you can apply in tr to pr french stream. Anyways how long did it take you to get your results.
It took exactly 4 weeks to get the result.
This is my TEF Canada SCORE.
Épreuve Score / 699 Équivalence ancien score Niveau
Compréhension écrite 351 152 / 300 B1
Compréhension orale 313 154 / 360 B1
Expression écrite 314 194 / 450 B1
Expression orale 265 153 / 450 A2
Can anyone please tell what will be my Canadian CLB score/level for Canada immigration purpose? This is my second language after English.
In IRCC website table it is given that 181 and above score is CLB A1 for speaking, therefore wll it be problem as my speaking score is 153 to get CLB A1 or A2? I am confused about TEF certificate level and IRCC CLB level

wasi1972

Jan 29, 2018
Can anyone please tell what will be my Canadian CLB score/level for Canada immigration purpose? This is my second language after English.
In IRCC website table it is given that 181 and above score is CLB A1 for speaking, therefore wll it be problem as my speaking score is 153 to get CLB A1 or A2? I am confused about TEF certificate level and IRCC CLB level
@gur999
In IRCC website table it is given that 181 and above score is CLB 4 (A1) for speaking, therefore wll it be problem as my speaking score is 153 to get CLB 4 (A1) or 5 (A2)? I am confused about TEF certificate level and IRCC CLB level

gur999

Star Member
Jul 2, 2017
@gur999
In IRCC website table it is given that 181 and above score is CLB 4 (A1) for speaking, therefore wll it be problem as my speaking score is 153 to get CLB 4 (A1) or 5 (A2)? I am confused about TEF certificate level and IRCC CLB level
Please refer to this site https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/standard-requirements/language-requirements/test-equivalency-charts.html
Yeah, I think. There's no clb level below 4, so I think you'll have to redo your exam

ashu2111

Jul 15, 2020
Will I get A1 as per Canada CLB benchmark for immigration in speaking? I am confused as A1 requires 180 marks and I got 153. Although I got A2 level as per the TEF certificate
No sorry. For TEF, you need to score B2 (superior) in all categories. I had two C1's but got a B1 in writing and failed the whole thing. For TCF Canada, it's you need B2 in all categories. Imo, TCF Canada is better than TEF Canada but I guess it depends on your learning style too. That being said, keep on working, you'll get there.

Abdelilah

Apr 8, 2017
Calgary
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
19/08/2018
Doc's Request.
07/11/2018
AOR Received.
19/08/2018
LANDED..........
17/02/2019
My personal experience with TEF was back in 2018 and was to say the least mixed up, the computer part was great, but the speaking part was bad, because work was being conducted during my test, in another unit in the same building, so I had to listed to their questions and answer while the drill was working hard, it affected my result but I didn't ask for a review though.

wasi1972

Jan 29, 2018
For those of you who want to gain those additional juicy 50 points for French language skills, I would like to share my experience with you as I went through this journey recently. Often people wonder whether they should go for TEF Canada or TCF Canada. Since I went through both exams, I think I can offer my opinion. Obviously if you’re weak in French, then both exams will be difficult for you but I would like to give my opinion nonetheless. Let’s start with my overall perception of two exams.

I did TEF Canada and then TCF Canada. In general, I found that TEF was much more difficult for reading and writing whereas TCF Canada can be difficult for those who are weak in listening. In my TEF exam I got a B1 in writing C1 in speaking, C1 in listening and inferior B2 in reading. This implied that since I got an inferior B2 and B1, I would not get additional 50 points for FSW.

Then I looked at the methodology of TCF and I found that it is a tiny bit similar to DELF. In fact, it is organized by the same company that conducts DELF examinations. Therefore, if you’re someone who learned French the traditional way (doing DELF and then preparing for your immigration exams), you will find that TCF Canada might be a little bit more suited to you since there is lot of focus on the methodology. Also, one very important thing: TCF Canada does not have a B2 inferior. This means that if you get a B2 in TCF Canada, let’s say for example by scoring 10/20, you will still get your 50 points. Whereas in TEF there is a B2 inferior (0 points) and then B2 superior (50 points).

Now let’s look at the individual parts of the two tests:

Writing part

I find that the writing part for TEF was particularly hard. In the first task, you’re supposed to write a “fait divers”, and for those of you who do not know- a fait divers is a type of story that often appears in the newspapers in France- they’re supposed to be a bit controversial and at times provocative. This task requires a certain level of creativity and a good level of vocabulary at the same time. I found it particularly hard because I was not able to properly translate my ideas into French. The second part is a formal letter (often to an editor of a magazine). This task is much easier and if you learn the methodology then you can write a good letter.

In my case I think I messed up big time in the first part and hence my grade was only a B1.

In TCF, you have three different tasks. One short letter, one blog post or a slightly longer letter and then for the third task, you have to make a resume of two documents and express your point of view on it. Even though it might sound a bit complicated, I personally believe that it is a bit easier because they’re not asking you to do something very different or out of your comfort range. Therefore, if you practice then you should be able to get a B2 level.

Speaking

In TEF, the speaking part is slightly easy, you only have two tasks. You have to do a roleplay in both of the tasks and if you can have a conversation in French, then you can easily get a B2.

In TCF, you have three tasks and the first task is ALWAYS the same. It’s basically presenting yourself. So, if you can prepare yourself in advance for that task, you can start off really well. The second task is a roleplay and unlike TEF, you get 2 minutes to prepare for the roleplay so you can quickly jot down all the questions that you may ask. The third task is a bit complicated because you have to speak on a subject or a statement for more than 4 minutes WITHOUT any preparations. However, if you do well in your first two tasks and mess up a bit in the third one, you’d still get your B2.

Listening

There is not much difference in the two exams. In this one, I would say TEF is slightly easier because they allow you to read the questions for a bit before the recordings start. In TCF, they just line up one after another with almost no time to read the multiple-choice answers. Although if you are someone who listens to French radio and practices, you should be fine.

Reading

This is where TCF Canada is clearly and undeniably easier than TEF Canada. First of all, you have 39 questions in 60 minutes. In TEF you have 50 questions in 60 minutes. One of the main reasons I personally performed so poorly in this section when I did TEF was the time limit.

In TEF, the first 10-15 questions are relatively easy and then the difficulty immediately increases where you have extremely long and very complicated articles from French literature. Once you get through those, then it becomes easy again. So basically, the first 10-20 questions are easy, the next 20-35 questions are extremely hard and long and then the last 15 questions become easy again.

I was scratching my head thinking who was the person responsible for creating this part of the TEF Canada. Overall, it is a massive time game and to finish all questions on time, you will have to rush through the easy questions like crazy.

In TCF, the questions get progressively difficult and yet I found that although they did become quite hard towards the end, they were not quite as challenging as the questions in TEF. Not to mention that I still had 15 minutes left after I completed all the questions and I was able to revise some other difficult questions in my spare time.

Conclusion

Obviously, everyone has an opinion but for me personally- I found that TCF Canada was much more practical and if I may say- easier. In TCF Canada, I scored a C1 in listening and reading and B2 in writing and speaking. After I finished TEF and got an unsatisfactory score, I was quite worried that I will potentially need to spend many more months to get a decent score to get over the reading and the writing hurdle.

However, when I got to know more about TCF Canada, I felt that it was something doable with my current level and although I did practice to hone up my skills, I did not feel like it was a massive challenge. For your information, I’ve been learning French in the last 3 years.

At the end, I must say that TCF Canada does not get a lot of publicity and there were less resources available online to prepare for it. However, for myself, I found clear advantages in regards to TCF Canada over TEF Canada.

Disclaimer: your opinion may be completely different and I respect that.

I wrote this article post because even though I often see some questions here and there on this form about this subject, there is rarely ever a through perspective on the two exams. As someone who went through both exams, I feel like I am qualified to opine on the advantages and the problems that one may face. Obviously, I hope that you will do your own research and due diligence before reserving any exams but if my post can give you some insights then I’d be happy.

Please feel free to like and share this post with your friends if you found it helpful! Good luck getting your bonus points!
How many questions need to be answered correctly in listening and reading part of TCF Canada to get 369 and 375 marks. Do the questions carry different marks depending on difficulty levels? To reach A2 or B1 level how many questions need to be correct?

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
For those of you who want to gain those additional juicy 50 points for French language skills, I would like to share my experience with you as I went through this journey recently. Often people wonder whether they should go for TEF Canada or TCF Canada. Since I went through both exams, I think I can offer my opinion. Obviously if you’re weak in French, then both exams will be difficult for you but I would like to give my opinion nonetheless. Let’s start with my overall perception of two exams.

I did TEF Canada and then TCF Canada. In general, I found that TEF was much more difficult for reading and writing whereas TCF Canada can be difficult for those who are weak in listening. In my TEF exam I got a B1 in writing C1 in speaking, C1 in listening and inferior B2 in reading. This implied that since I got an inferior B2 and B1, I would not get additional 50 points for FSW.

Then I looked at the methodology of TCF and I found that it is a tiny bit similar to DELF. In fact, it is organized by the same company that conducts DELF examinations. Therefore, if you’re someone who learned French the traditional way (doing DELF and then preparing for your immigration exams), you will find that TCF Canada might be a little bit more suited to you since there is lot of focus on the methodology. Also, one very important thing: TCF Canada does not have a B2 inferior. This means that if you get a B2 in TCF Canada, let’s say for example by scoring 10/20, you will still get your 50 points. Whereas in TEF there is a B2 inferior (0 points) and then B2 superior (50 points).

Now let’s look at the individual parts of the two tests:

Writing part

I find that the writing part for TEF was particularly hard. In the first task, you’re supposed to write a “fait divers”, and for those of you who do not know- a fait divers is a type of story that often appears in the newspapers in France- they’re supposed to be a bit controversial and at times provocative. This task requires a certain level of creativity and a good level of vocabulary at the same time. I found it particularly hard because I was not able to properly translate my ideas into French. The second part is a formal letter (often to an editor of a magazine). This task is much easier and if you learn the methodology then you can write a good letter.

In my case I think I messed up big time in the first part and hence my grade was only a B1.

In TCF, you have three different tasks. One short letter, one blog post or a slightly longer letter and then for the third task, you have to make a resume of two documents and express your point of view on it. Even though it might sound a bit complicated, I personally believe that it is a bit easier because they’re not asking you to do something very different or out of your comfort range. Therefore, if you practice then you should be able to get a B2 level.

Speaking

In TEF, the speaking part is slightly easy, you only have two tasks. You have to do a roleplay in both of the tasks and if you can have a conversation in French, then you can easily get a B2.

In TCF, you have three tasks and the first task is ALWAYS the same. It’s basically presenting yourself. So, if you can prepare yourself in advance for that task, you can start off really well. The second task is a roleplay and unlike TEF, you get 2 minutes to prepare for the roleplay so you can quickly jot down all the questions that you may ask. The third task is a bit complicated because you have to speak on a subject or a statement for more than 4 minutes WITHOUT any preparations. However, if you do well in your first two tasks and mess up a bit in the third one, you’d still get your B2.

Listening

There is not much difference in the two exams. In this one, I would say TEF is slightly easier because they allow you to read the questions for a bit before the recordings start. In TCF, they just line up one after another with almost no time to read the multiple-choice answers. Although if you are someone who listens to French radio and practices, you should be fine.

Reading

This is where TCF Canada is clearly and undeniably easier than TEF Canada. First of all, you have 39 questions in 60 minutes. In TEF you have 50 questions in 60 minutes. One of the main reasons I personally performed so poorly in this section when I did TEF was the time limit.

In TEF, the first 10-15 questions are relatively easy and then the difficulty immediately increases where you have extremely long and very complicated articles from French literature. Once you get through those, then it becomes easy again. So basically, the first 10-20 questions are easy, the next 20-35 questions are extremely hard and long and then the last 15 questions become easy again.

I was scratching my head thinking who was the person responsible for creating this part of the TEF Canada. Overall, it is a massive time game and to finish all questions on time, you will have to rush through the easy questions like crazy.

In TCF, the questions get progressively difficult and yet I found that although they did become quite hard towards the end, they were not quite as challenging as the questions in TEF. Not to mention that I still had 15 minutes left after I completed all the questions and I was able to revise some other difficult questions in my spare time.

Conclusion

Obviously, everyone has an opinion but for me personally- I found that TCF Canada was much more practical and if I may say- easier. In TCF Canada, I scored a C1 in listening and reading and B2 in writing and speaking. After I finished TEF and got an unsatisfactory score, I was quite worried that I will potentially need to spend many more months to get a decent score to get over the reading and the writing hurdle.

However, when I got to know more about TCF Canada, I felt that it was something doable with my current level and although I did practice to hone up my skills, I did not feel like it was a massive challenge. For your information, I’ve been learning French in the last 3 years.

At the end, I must say that TCF Canada does not get a lot of publicity and there were less resources available online to prepare for it. However, for myself, I found clear advantages in regards to TCF Canada over TEF Canada.

Disclaimer: your opinion may be completely different and I respect that.

I wrote this article post because even though I often see some questions here and there on this form about this subject, there is rarely ever a through perspective on the two exams. As someone who went through both exams, I feel like I am qualified to opine on the advantages and the problems that one may face. Obviously, I hope that you will do your own research and due diligence before reserving any exams but if my post can give you some insights then I’d be happy.

Please feel free to like and share this post with your friends if you found it helpful! Good luck getting your bonus points!
C'est interessant que tu as eu C1 a l'orale. Je l'ai trouv'e beaucoup plus difficile. J'ai eu B1 sur l'orale, et C2 sur la lecture. Je sais pas comment me preparer pour l'orale, j'aime pas parler beaucoup, c'est pourquoi peut-etre.

sumeshbehl

Jun 8, 2023
To get a significant CRS points, one needs B2+ score, which is CLB 7, to get additional 62 points for French language.

Ideal timeline to prepare is 9 months to 1 year, with minimum 3hrs dedicated effort per day

I learned French as a complete beginner and my CRS increased from 448 to 516

I cleared TEF exam in 10 months and 1st attempt. Here's how:

Cleared TEF exam in 10 months and 1st attempt. Here's how:

Complete Guidance on How to succeed TEF Canada Exam https://www.udemy.com/course/succeed-tef-canada-exam/?referralCode=58FAB29C620E825ED03A (https://www.udemy.com/course/succeed-tef-canada-exam/?referralCode=58FAB29C620E825ED03A)

To avail max DISCOUNT, use Coupon Code : SUCCEED_TEF2023