+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

My boyfriend from the US wants to move to Canada.

canadaguy96

Aug 11, 2012
Okay thanks for the information. But after I have decided to email the people from the PNP and this is what they told me:

To be eligible for our Provincial Nominee Program he will be required to have a job offer from a Newfoundland and Labrador company. If he is interested in seeking employment in our province, I would suggest that you/he check out the following website

(Website). It can include positions in NOC C & D (low skill).
There are many employers in the province with Labor Market Opinions with vacancies in the service industry. Please note he will be required to do English Language test.

If your boyfriend is successful in finding employment in our province I would suggest that he complete the Provincial Nominee Skilled Worker application which can be found here (Website)

So it seems it can be done with low skilled jobs. So me an my boyfriend has planne to use the website they provided to help find him a job. It feels much better now knowing that there is a much simplier way to get the permanent residence status.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadaguy96 said:
from what I heard it's hard to get LEGALLY married as a gay couple in Newfoundland since some churches wont perform it
You do not need to get married in a church for it to be legal.

canadaguy96

Aug 11, 2012
YorkFactory said:
You do not need to get married in a church for it to be legal.
It's hard from what my brother said, he is also gay an looked into marriage around here in Newfoundlad and he said something about bein married here don't give you some legal stuff or something. All I know is my brother looked into it.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Like I said, you don't have to get married in Newfoundland. You can go to Toronto or whereever. I am sure that a gay marriage performed anywhere in Canada will give you the right to apply for immigration. Besides, by then, maybe you and your boyfriend are living together and if you have lived together for 12 months, you can also apply for him even if you don't get married.

YorkFactory

Oct 18, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadaguy96 said:
It's hard from what my brother said, he is also gay an looked into marriage around here in Newfoundlad and he said something about bein married here don't give you some legal stuff or something. All I know is my brother looked into it.
Same-sex marriage has been legal in Newfoundland and Labrador since December 21, 2004. If you're married in NL, you're married as far as any Canadian official is concerned.

canadaguy96

Aug 11, 2012
I don't have any full information on this yet.

But my boyfriend tried to come here today, he was flying in when government Canada called me and asked did I know about someone I would be picking up I told them about my boyfriend and stuff and they said he might no be allowed in Canada, so anyway I calls back and finds out that they denied him from coming in but I have no idea why at the moment since in still waiting for him to return to his hometown. But anyway they told me that you cannot come here as a visitor and look for a job, even though many people on this forum said you can do it?

Like can anyone explain why he might be denied? He had his passport and stuff and they let him on the plane but as soon as he made his first stop in Toronto they made him go back.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
As one or a few of us mentioned at the beginning - he can certainly come and visit and look for a job while he's here (i.e. nothing will stop him from doing that) - but he shouldn't look like he plans to move here permanently or stay long term. He's only allowed in as a visitor and needs to behave as a visitor at immigration. I suspect your boyfriend did something or said something that lead immigration to believe he had plans to stay permanently and that's why they denied him entry. For example, if he flat out told immigration that he was coming to Canada to find work and live with his boyfriend - that would have been a red flag to immigration.

Let us know what happened when you find out.

canadaguy96

Aug 11, 2012
I was just talking to my boyfriend. And it was right what was said, he said things that showed he wanted to stay here in Canada permanently and they denied him from coming in.

The thing is now what can he do? Like they told hold he could try to obtain a work permit outside the country, which in my opinion is a bit hard to do. Also do you think if he got another ticket and tried to prove that he is just visiting this time they will grant him in, or they would deny him from the last time?

Any suggestions on what we should do is greatly appreciated!

Also I'm wonder since he didn't get to go to his destination will he be refunded money for a part of his flight of anything? Like I think if they were gonna deny him he should get some sort of refund.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
He's not going to get a refund on his flight. The airline isn't responsible for the fact that he was denied entry into Canada. And Canadian immigration isn't responsible for refunding him either.

Unfortunately is does sound like he said the wrong things to immigration.

If he wants to try entering again, he'll need to make sure that he can prove ties to the US (job, school enrollment, property ownership, property rental, business ownership, etc) and demonstrate that he has no plans to over stay his visit. He can do this by having a return flight ticket, showing he has sufficient funds to pay for his visit, not packing like he's moving, etc. I would give it a few months before he tries entering the country again.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, sounds like he said the wrong things. Sure you can come to Canada and look for a job but you don't tell immigration that. To immigration, you only say that you are visiting, 2-3 weeks, that's it. Helps if you have a ticket back too. Immigration can not blame people later for something they said as they entered because they can always say their plans changed.

Anyway, like scylla said, now that immigration has refused him entry, it will not be good for him to try again right away. Tell him to continue working in the US and try to visit again next summer and then with proof that he is working, a letter from his employer stating that he has been granted vacation and a return ticket.

If you or somebody you know or somebody from your family can help him get a job offer and a labour market opinion, he could apply for a work permit from outside Canada too.

Presidentfca

Apr 1, 2014
I see this post is about 6 months old. Not sure if you ever got things settled out or not. I hope you did. I would love to hear back from you as I am in a very similar situation.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Presidentfca said:
I see this post is about 6 months old. Not sure if you ever got things settled out or not. I hope you did. I would love to hear back from you as I am in a very similar situation.
Actually it is more like 18 months old :)