+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MSP eligibility reviewed and on stage of cancellation

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
But out of pocket emergency fee is $$$. I think we paid $5000 for my MIL just for the first night. They wanted it up front. She had travel insurance. But at the end, the insurance some how had an agreement with MSP and only paid half of all the fee and we need to cover the rest of the bills.

So just a heads up, in case she wants to stay and use emergency for a possible 2nd child birth.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
But out of pocket emergency fee is $$$. I think we paid $5000 for my MIL just for the first night. They wanted it up front. She had travel insurance. But at the end, the insurance some how had an agreement with MSP and only paid half of all the fee and we need to cover the rest of the bills.

So just a heads up, in case she wants to stay and use emergency for a possible 2nd child birth.
Yes, this is all very true. She won't get anything for free. It'll cost a hell of a lot.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi, I am in a big trouble. I got my PR in 2017 and gave birth to my daughter in 2018. I was not present in canada in any calendar year for 6 months per year. I came to Canada again a month ago and got a letter from MSP eligibility officer of BC health unit. She said that since i was not available for six months in any of 3 years so my MSP will be canceled and i have to pay all the claim i have taken at the time of my daughter’s birth. Also my daughter’s MSP will be canceled. I have given her all proofs that i was not allowed to travel during pregnancy due to health issue and that is why i came for a short period but still she wants me to either sign the declaration that says i did not met BC residency obligation and MSP to be canceled from beginning. But the truth is i was not even aware of this 6 month residency rule for MSP. I just knew the 2 years out of 5 year rule. Please advice. As i am not in a state to pay heavy claims. It can be around $20-25k.
My faith in the healthcare compliance system is a bit restored
Btw , “ I am in big trouble “, maybe bit of a understatement

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My faith in the healthcare compliance system is a bit restored
Btw , “ I am in big trouble “, maybe bit of a understatement
Don't want to burst your bubble but there is tons of known fraud, compliance problems, etc. One of my big pet peeves is the fraud going on in many pharmacies where pharmacies bill ODB monthly and fill prescriptions even though patients don't ask for the medication. Known issue in the industry for decades and if you've wondered how there are small pharmacies on every corner this is one of the reasons why.

Mashkeen

Star Member
Apr 1, 2015
Are you pregnant again and that's why you have retuned to Canada? If you pregnancy was so fragile that you couldn't fly for 7 months it would have been safer to not travel to Canada just to deliver a baby. I am sure we all know that you only came to Canada for a short period of time because you wanted your child to have Canadian citizenship and you thought you could use your MSP card and not pay for your delivery. If you happen to be pregnant I assume the hospitals will want upfront payment given your balance.
Omg are you guys insane or what? I think i was a fool for asking guidance or help on this forum. I came back ti settle down back with my child. And i was not allowed to travel due to abortion risk in initial months. You think i came to canada for a free treatment?? I am so sorry but same treatment would’ve costed me in India almost less than my ticket to Canada and that too in a really good hospital. And rest for my daughter. Yes of course i wanted to be her a citizen because i am PR and will be citizen one day. Why would i not want her to born here.
and i am not pregnant again. You guys are worst than the MSP officer who talked to me.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Omg are you guys insane or what? I think i was a fool for asking guidance or help on this forum. I came back ti settle down back with my child. And i was not allowed to travel due to abortion risk in initial months. You think i came to canada for a free treatment?? I am so sorry but same treatment would’ve costed me in India almost less than my ticket to Canada and that too in a really good hospital. And rest for my daughter. Yes of course i wanted to be her a citizen because i am PR and will be citizen one day. Why would i not want her to born here.
and i am not pregnant again. You guys are worst than the MSP officer who talked to me.
You arrived at 7 months pregnant, didn't meet the residency obligation to qualify for MSP and you're asking for sympathy when it comes to not affording your bill. We have all met the requirement to receive healthcare and have paid a lot of taxes so it's hard to empathize with someone who has not. If you are a high risk pregnancy that has a high risk of miscarriage or premature birth a doctor isn't going to recommend the stress of a full day of intercontinental travel plus moving since no doctor will want to induce labour just because you made it to 7 months. If you were at high risk of miscarriage in the first trimester you could have left India right after the first trimester but you waited until 7 months. If your father in law's health was not good and you wanted him to meet your child you could have gone for a visit and returned to Canada. The 6 months residency period does not have to be within the calender year. Unfortunately people do arrive in Canada to give birth as PRs and citizens without meeting the healthcare residency obligations and return to their home country soon after delivery so their child has Canadian citizenship. It is not uncommon for people to d this twice if they've been able to do it once. This is exactly why MSP audits for situations exactly like yours. If you are married did your spouse return to Canada with you when you gave birth? Did either of you start working when you returned? Sign a lease or buy a home? Most adults can't move to a country permanently and then leave after a few months they make longterm commitments that are not easy to abandon. It's unfortunate that you hadn't looked into the terms of MSP but when people are not having to pay high levels of tax yet expect free access to healthcare it is frustrating to most people. MSP offers payments plans so you can pay the bill over numerous years.

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
We are not the ones trying to game the system and then acting, taking a quote from the movie Goodfellas, the "babe in the woods routine ". Btw, that was a great scene. You got nailed, just like Karen in the movie. Nothing is worse than a grown adult who got nailed, taking the " Oh I did not know the rules. Seriously ? You have a child, so I am taking that you are adult. Do not even attempt to turn this around and accuse individuals that everyone is insane, because they are pointing out the obvious and not buying it. but is also immature and more importantly, you think the system is stupid in not catching what you have done. And more importantly MSP is not buying it. If you did not come to Canada for free treatment, then you came for that little navy book, titled " Canada Passport", then you must be MORE than willingly to pay for services rendered. And those services have been rendered. Pay up and grow up

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@Copingwithlife If you want to start your day off with a bit of rage and wonder how nothing has been done even though the issue has been highly publicized then read a few articles. With some basic auditing of ODB and OHIP databases so much money could be saved. Simple things like flagging any pregnant woman who shows up later in her pregnancy, has a child and there are no follow-up for either after 2/3 months postpartum or flagging pharmacies who renew most of their odb prescriptions on a monthly basis are not hard to do. Would also add midwives taking on only ohip patients only or at least as a priority is on my list as well. With the debt that the province of Ontario has and needed healthcare funding I can't understand how basic checks and balances are not in place. Professional health organizations policing their own also leads to minor punishments.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4979855/ontario-pharmacy-fraud-prescription-for-profit/