+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

MSP coverage for spouse on visitor visa after applying inland sponsorship

Shiv_CR7

Mar 3, 2019
Hello,

My spouse will visit Canada in May on TRV and I plan to apply inland sponsorship in June. Once applied, is there any chance I can add my spouse as a dependent to my medical services plan in BC? If this is possible, do I need to to provide any specific documents for this?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

My spouse will visit Canada in May on TRV and I plan to apply inland sponsorship in June. Once applied, is there any chance I can add my spouse as a dependent to my medical services plan in BC? If this is possible, do I need to to provide any specific documents for this?
[source]:
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/health/health-drug-coverage/msp/bc-residents/eligibility-and-enrolment/are-you-eligible

A spouse or child of an eligible B.C. resident may also be deemed a resident provided that an application for permanent residence has been submitted to Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and the sponsorship fee (if applicable), application for permanent residence fee and Right of Permanent Residence fee have been paid in full. Per IRCC, the dependent child of a sponsor is exempt from the Right of Permanent Residence fee.

So once you have received the AOR email, showing that IRCC has in fact received the application and you have proof that the fees have been paid, she should be eligible for MSP. There is likely a short waiting period.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Not sure apply the waiting period of dependent being added to MSP. But new application to MSP generally have a 3 months (current month + 2 months) waiting period.
Best is to contact MSP to confirm.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Not sure apply the waiting period of dependent being added to MSP. But new application to MSP generally have a 3 months (current month + 2 months) waiting period.
Best is to contact MSP to confirm.
The site to which @Ponga referred also says:

When Does Coverage Begin?
New (and returning) residents are required to complete a wait period consisting of the balance of the month in which residence in British Columbia is established, plus two months before benefits can begin. The date residency is considered to have been established is determined by the Ministry of Health based on a number of factors, including the type of immigration status held.

For spouses and children who apply for Permanent Resident Status while in B.C., the wait period begins on the date the sponsorship fee (if applicable), application for permanent residence fee and right of Permanent Residence fee have been paid in full to IRCC. If all fees are not paid at the same time, the wait period begins on the date the last fee is paid.

Here, the OP says he intends to start the PR application process in June and wants to know if wife can be added "once applied". It looks like "yes", if the fees are paid in full when applying.

My wife arrived in BC in December. In January we walked into a BC Services office, showed her PR card, filled out a bit of paperwork, and her health card arrived in the mail about 10 days later.

Reactions: YVR123