+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving without wife from one province to another after marriage

haroon6061

Nov 27, 2016
Hello All,
I marriage with my cousin few months ago in Toronto. Now I am planning to move from Toronto to Vancouver alone as I got better job but my wife will be stay in Toronto.
My wife is Canadian Citizen and I got recently PR, so can you please what would be the pros & cons if we will not stay together in Toronto???
Does it would effect my citizenship when I will apply after few years???

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
Did your wife (your cousin?) sponsor you for immigration?

Condition 51 has been repealed, so you can leave her. But in your future dealings with IRCC, eg applying for citizenship, they may be curious as to why the marriage fell apart so soon, and if it was genuine, or if you just faked it to get PR.

haroon6061

Nov 27, 2016
Did your wife (your cousin?) sponsor you for immigration?

Condition 51 has been repealed, so you can leave her. But in your future dealings with IRCC, eg applying for citizenship, they may be curious as to why the marriage fell apart so soon, and if it was genuine, or if you just faked it to get PR.
Yes, she sponsor me for immigration, while I came to Canada on visit visa...
I am not leaving her or giving divorce. She is doing job in Toronto so she can't come with me and I am going to start new job in another province...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Who knew that you could still marry your 1st cousin in Canada. Thought it wouldn't be allowed given the potential genetic complications for the children which puts a ton of stress on the healthcare system. Recently saw a documentary about the demand on the NHS.

haroon6061

Nov 27, 2016
Who knew that you could still marry your 1st cousin in Canada. Thought it wouldn't be allowed given the potential genetic complications for the children which puts a ton of stress on the healthcare system. Recently saw a documentary about the demand on the NHS.
Thanks for your comment,
Any idea if you have answer of my query please?

Reactions: Salazar1196

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes you can move. I would anticipate extra scrutiny when/if you apply for pr renewal or citizenship if you remain separated for a long time.

haroon6061

Nov 27, 2016
Yes you can move. I would anticipate extra scrutiny when/if you apply for pr renewal or citizenship if you remain separated for a long time.
Just a stupid question...
How they would know that we are living in different provinces?
Although, we will meet whenever there would be public holidays....

haroon6061

Nov 27, 2016
Registered for health care in BC as a resident for one.
Just query, i did not get PR based on province as mentioned earlier got PR based on marriage so i am really confused how if i am moving to anothet province can be issue...

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Just query, i did not get PR based on province as mentioned earlier got PR based on marriage so i am really confused how if i am moving to anothet province can be issue...
canuck78 and Bs65 gave examples of how IRCC would know that you and your wife are living in different provinces.

You can move to another province. However, living away from your wife - and pretty soon after your marriage - could make it seem like you married your cousin in a MOC (marriage of convenience)