+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Quebec with Express entry PR

kvustc

Aug 13, 2022
I received a CoPR recently via the Express Entry(https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html) Federal Skilled Worker program, and I wish to do a soft landing in Vancouver/Toronto in January 2023 and return back to my home country after collecting my PR card. I eventually want to move to Canada permanently in mid-2024.

I wanted to know if there are any issues with me moving to Montreal, since it holds its own selection process(CSQ). In particular I have a few concerns:
- Getting a health card/other documents like drivers' license, etc using the PR
- Would this stay in Quebec get flagged during the citizenship process in the future?

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I received a CoPR recently via the Express Entry(https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry.html) Federal Skilled Worker program, and I wish to do a soft landing in Vancouver/Toronto in January 2023 and return back to my home country after collecting my PR card. I eventually want to move to Canada permanently in mid-2024.

I wanted to know if there are any issues with me moving to Montreal, since it holds its own selection process(CSQ). In particular I have a few concerns:
- Getting a health card/other documents like drivers' license, etc using the PR
- Would this stay in Quebec get flagged during the citizenship process in the future?
You should really be showing that you attempted to relocate to the province you applied to or at least any province but Quebec. How long will you be spending in a province other than Quebec. If you only do a short landing with no plans on settling and move permanently later on directly to Quebec that does not look good since you don’t have CSQ.

kvustc

Aug 13, 2022
You should really be showing that you attempted to relocate to the province you applied to or at least any province but Quebec. How long will you be spending in a province other than Quebec. If you only do a short landing with no plans on settling and move permanently later on directly to Quebec that does not look good since you don’t have CSQ.
Thanks for your response! From what I gather it is preferred(and legal?) if I live in a non-QC province for say an year, and then move to Quebec.

In addition, I was trying to search if there was an application process for Express Entry PR cardholders to apply for a QC specific approval.

hodari

Mar 28, 2018
Quebec
Thanks for your response! From what I gather it is preferred(and legal?) if I live in a non-QC province for say an year, and then move to Quebec.

In addition, I was trying to search if there was an application process for Express Entry PR cardholders to apply for a QC specific approval.
There's no issue with you moving to Quebec once you are already a PR. As a PR you have a legal right to move wherever you want within Canada.
It is not a flag at the time of citizenship, so you need not worry.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

You can move to Quebec much earlier than a year but would at least spend a few weeks in the nominating province and apply for some jobs there.