+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Edmonton/Calgary

ViktorG

Sep 14, 2020
Hi Everyone,

We are planning to move to Edmonton or Calgary next year in spring from New Brunswick. There are some details about us. My family consists of three people - me, my wife and little daughter. We have PR statuses and have already applied for Canadian citizenship. Our daughter is Canadian. Currently, I work as a reliability engineer
Now, I am gathering information about the challenges we can face. Could you please help me with some questions:

1. Maybe my first question is very broad. However, if somebody has experience moving from a small community to big cities, what should I prepare before moving?
2. Are there any issues to rent an apartment if I don't have a job? I've heard many stories that landlords in Edmonton/Calgary ask about a job before signing off a contract. I am not 100% sure that I will find a job applying from NB.
3. I still have not decided between Edmonton and Calgary where to go. So, my question is related to the job market. Which city would be better in terms of finding a job for a mechanical engineer?

If you have any other information for me, it is highly appreciated.

Thank you a lot

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi Everyone,

We are planning to move to Edmonton or Calgary next year in spring from New Brunswick. There are some details about us. My family consists of three people - me, my wife and little daughter. We have PR statuses and have already applied for Canadian citizenship. Our daughter is Canadian. Currently, I work as a reliability engineer
Now, I am gathering information about the challenges we can face. Could you please help me with some questions:

1. Maybe my first question is very broad. However, if somebody has experience moving from a small community to big cities, what should I prepare before moving?
2. Are there any issues to rent an apartment if I don't have a job? I've heard many stories that landlords in Edmonton/Calgary ask about a job before signing off a contract. I am not 100% sure that I will find a job applying from NB.
3. I still have not decided between Edmonton and Calgary where to go. So, my question is related to the job market. Which city would be better in terms of finding a job for a mechanical engineer?

If you have any other information for me, it is highly appreciated.

Thank you a lot
Would not make plans to move to Calgary or Edmonton. Would be applying for jobs in Alberta and other provinces and if you are offered a job I would then move. These are tough economic times and Alberta has been hit hard. I would not leave a job or move to a city without a job lined up. I would only sign a lease once I know I have a job in that city. Before you sign a lease you should have a job or else you should remain flexible so you can go where the job is.

Reactions: novascotia27

ViktorG

Sep 14, 2020
Thank you.
Would not make plans to move to Calgary or Edmonton. Would be applying for jobs in Alberta and other provinces and if you are offered a job I would then move. These are tough economic times and Alberta has been hit hard. I would not leave a job or move to a city without a job lined up. I would only sign a lease once I know I have a job in that city. Before you sign a lease you should have a job or else you should remain flexible so you can go where the job is.
In general, that makes sense for me. However, we have already decided to move to either Edmonton or Calgary. I really need advice on the questions mentioned above. Thank you for your opinion.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Preparation to move - start applying for jobs as the unemployment rate in Alberta is 13-14% and many of those are professionals. You say you are an engineer but have you looked at licensing requirements in Alberta. If you aren’t licensed, you can look for jobs as a technician. If you are determined to move to Alberta, I wouldn’t be picky. Live where you find a job....it may be any job. Don’t expect to work in the engineering field right away as so many engineers are out of work.

Apartments - Edmonton is probably cheaper. Again look for rentals and contact them.

Are you hiring a moving company? Start looking at rates. Pack and drive to Alberta. Once there & have address, get health cards and drivers license. If you have a child, look at daycares and schools. Pay Canada Post to forward your mail to you with a change of addres.

Last edited:
Reactions: novascotia27

ViktorG

Sep 14, 2020
Preparation to move - start applying for jobs as the unemployment rate in Alberta is 13-14% and many of those are professionals. You say you are an engineer but have you looked at licensing requirements in Alberta. If you aren’t licensed, you can look for jobs as a technician. If you are determined to move to Alberta, I wouldn’t be picky. Live where you find a job....it may be any job. Don’t expect to work in the engineering field right away as so many engineers are out of work.

Apartments - Edmonton is probably cheaper. Again look for rentals and contact them.

Are you hiring a moving company? Start looking at rates. Pack and drive to Alberta. Once there & have address, get health cards and drivers license. If you have a child, look at daycares and schools. Pay Canada Post to forward your mail to you with a change of addres.
Hi,

I am doing my best to find a job but it is hard to get one from NB having 0 connections in Alberta. I am not a licenced engineer in NB. I am on my way now, having local EiT. After reading tons of forums, I am thinking that Alberta probably not a perfect option for engineers as of right now. I don't know why but I have (or had) a strong belief that the biggest opportunities in the engineering field are in Alberta.

It seems like I have the fall/winter season to determine where to go.

To move my stuff, I am thinking of buying a trailer. As I found, that is the cheapest way. Hiring a moving company is more expensive.

Thank you for your time.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi,

I am doing my best to find a job but it is hard to get one from NB having 0 connections in Alberta. I am not a licenced engineer in NB. I am on my way now, having local EiT. After reading tons of forums, I am thinking that Alberta probably not a perfect option for engineers as of right now. I don't know why but I have (or had) a strong belief that the biggest opportunities in the engineering field are in Alberta.

To move my stuff, I am thinking of buying a trailer. As I found, that is the cheapest way. Hiring a moving company is more expensive.

Thank you for your time.
If you are an EIT contact the Alberta Engineering Association as engineering is provincially licensed and see if your current work experience will be counted. Engineering is a tough field of work in Alberta right now. Due to high unemployment but alberta also added engineering fields other than software to their “ineligible occupations” list for immigration. You have PR but Alberta has a lot of engineers due to the oil and gas field. You need to look for employment beyond just Calgary and Edmonto.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hi,

Thank you for your time.
If you’re thinking of getting a trailer and doing it yourself , like driving out , I’d HIGHLY recommend you wait till spring . I would not drive out west till the weather gets better example snow blizzards . From southern Ontario North there is nothing . I’m used to driving thru blizzards growing up in the west, I’m putting off driving out till Spring

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

Thank you for your time.
It is really tough to get a job in your field. Although you may want to move to Edmonton or Calgary it doesn’t make sense if you can’t get decent employment there. The economy is very tough in Alberta at the moment and it won’t be changing by the Spring. Think you should still be applying for jobs in more than Calgary or Edmonton. You may need to relocate somewhere else first and then eventually end up in Edmonton or Calgary. Would also look at other cities. During a recession I would not be relocating without a job offer.

Incogneto

Nov 26, 2021
Hello everyone. We have bought a new house and it seems like every paroled criminal has bought a cube truck and is advertising on Kijiji to movers you.

Is there anyone on this board that has a recommendation on a good mover within Calgary?

Last edited: