+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada to Stay - Work in US (H1B) - First Entry - COVID Impact?

hsent

Aug 20, 2020
I got my CoPR docs in Jan 2020 and have time until Jan 2021 to make my first visit (soft landing?) at Canada.
I have a H1b that is valid until Sept 2022 and have the 1 time Canada permit on my IN Passport.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I move freely from Detroit - Windsor on a daily basis or do I have to stay in Canada for 14 days from date of entry?
2. If the answer to Question 1 is Yes, then after the 14 day period, can I go to Detroit daily, to work and come back to Canada - I can provide an essential worker document from work (automobile engineer). Or would I have to quarantine everytime I cross the border?
3. I don't know anyone at Windsor and was planning to stay in a hotel for the 1st 14 days if needed, what are some easy home renting options?
4. What are the documents / things I will need while crossing the border for the first visit.
5. I will be bringing my Michigan plated car >100k miles - would that be a problem.

Please let me know. My employer has NOT applied for a GC (I140) for me.

Last edited:

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
1. You have to quarantine for 14 days when entering Canada.
2. Every time you enter Canada, you must quarantine for 14 days unless you are an essential worker in something like healthcare or trucking. It doesn't sound like you are.
3. Airbnb.
4. Your passport, COPR, quarantine plan, etc. Bring all of your documents.
5. You need to go through the steps to legally import your car.

hsent

Aug 20, 2020
Thanks for the quick response primaprime
2. I work for an automotive supplier and I go to workplace every day (no tele-working) -
In this case, does that mean, that I cannot live in Canada and work in USA? Because I will have to go to work everyday.
5. How long can I drive my Michigan plated car in Canada before I apply for import?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Thanks for the quick response primaprime
2. I work for an automotive supplier and I go to workplace every day (no tele-working) -
In this case, does that mean, that I cannot live in Canada and work in USA? Because I will have to go to work everyday.
5. How long can I drive my Michigan plated car in Canada before I apply for import?
2. You are going for work daily hence you are exempt from quarantine.
5. If you move permanently then cbsa would let the car only after importing permanently/temporarily. You need your clear title to import.

hsent

Aug 20, 2020
I'll make sure this is my last question

Can you please provide references where this is stated?
- Exemption from Quarantine as I go to work Daily
- So the day I have a soft landing at Canada should be the day I start the import process as well (or do I need to start import process before soft landing)
I'm asking this because, I might have to return back to the USA after the 1st 14 day quarantine to figure out my future stay in Canada (do I need to maintain that as well? or as I have to go to my workplace everyday, will I be exempted from the first 14 day quarantine?)

rebelagain

Sep 16, 2020
I got my CoPR docs in Jan 2020 and have time until Jan 2021 to make my first visit (soft landing?) at Canada.
I have a H1b that is valid until Sept 2022 and have the 1 time Canada permit on my IN Passport.

Here are my questions:
1. Can I move freely from Detroit - Windsor on a daily basis or do I have to stay in Canada for 14 days from date of entry?
2. If the answer to Question 1 is Yes, then after the 14 day period, can I go to Detroit daily, to work and come back to Canada - I can provide an essential worker document from work (automobile engineer). Or would I have to quarantine everytime I cross the border?
3. I don't know anyone at Windsor and was planning to stay in a hotel for the 1st 14 days if needed, what are some easy home renting options?
4. What are the documents / things I will need while crossing the border for the first visit.
5. I will be bringing my Michigan plated car >100k miles - would that be a problem.

Please let me know. My employer has NOT applied for a GC (I140) for me.
how come ur COPR has 1 yr validity? I got approved in March of this yr and validity expires in Oct