+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving to Canada from US(H-1B)

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Hi,

I have been in US on H-1B and moving to Canada soon. I am going to leave money in the US bank and will be doing cross border banking after moving to Canada. After moving to Canada I won't have a status in the US.

My question is I should still be able to access all my money in the US bank account even though I won't have a status in US, right?

Thanks in advance.

cansha

VIP Member
Aug 1, 2018
I didn't mention car in the goods to follow when I softlanded. I want to import my car now. How much duty/taxes will I have to pay for the car?
I think you can still add car to goods to follow. There are plenty of threads on the forum on this. I suggest you research. I didn't personally move car so have no first hand experience.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I think you can still add car to goods to follow. There are plenty of threads on the forum on this. I suggest you research. I didn't personally move car so have no first hand experience.
I don't think I can update the GTF now, as it was submitted during soft landing and signed by a customs officer. I tried to search in the forum, but I am seeing different people are telling different things about it. I think I will call CBSA and see if they can tell me what to do.

Thanks.

justinline

May 19, 2009
I don't think I can update the GTF now, as it was submitted during soft landing and signed by a customs officer. I tried to search in the forum, but I am seeing different people are telling different things about it. I think I will call CBSA and see if they can tell me what to do.

Thanks.
I think you should be fine.....only if the officer is ignorant you will be asked to pay taxes. Just carry the bill of sale showing you owned the car for a while and just forgot to include in goods to follow.
I dint even have goods to follow during soft landing. Afterwards when I moved finally to Canada I imported my car without any taxes.....this was after I was held up for few hours at the border. I was cutting very close to 3 years outside Canada .....and officer was little prick as well.....that was total pain in ass moment. Tried to give me scare of lifetime telling me he was going to report me to IRCC and have my PR cancelled.
So even the prick of that level let me import car tax free.....so you should be fine.

Last edited:

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I think you should be fine.....only if the officer is ignorant you will be asked to pay taxes. Just carry the bill of sale showing you owned the car for a while and just forgot to include in goods to follow.
I dint even have goods to follow during soft landing. Afterwards when I moved finally to Canada I imported my car without any taxes.....this was after I was held up for few hours at the border. I was cutting very close to 3 years outside Canada .....and officer was little prick as well.....that was total pain in ass moment. Tried to give me scare of lifetime telling me he was going to report me to IRCC and have my PR cancelled.
So even the prick of that level let me import car tax free.....so you should be fine.
I guess those type of officers exist in every country. Thanks for letting me know and sharing your experience. I spoke to few others who imported the car when they moved but didn't declare it in the GTF during softlanding and they also said the same, that it depends on the officer. I will just do what is necessary to import the car now and hope for the best.

May I ask how close to the 3 year mark did you move? I am moving when am almost 5 months away from the 3rd year mark since I softlanded. I hope they don't doubt that I would be able to satisfy the RO.

justinline

May 19, 2009
I think I had 1-2 months remaining. The officer knew that.....that din't make any difference. Earlier you go the better. As long as you can meet requirement of 2 years in 5 years period, you are fine.

krishere1982

Mar 2, 2016
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
I think I had 1-2 months remaining. The officer knew that.....that din't make any difference. Earlier you go the better. As long as you can meet requirement of 2 years in 5 years period, you are fine.
Ok, thanks. Yeah, we all want to move to Canada as soon as we can, but aren't able to. Some border security officers just get kicks out of scaring people though.