VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is another thing he would have to disclose as well - which is is personal history (a list of addresses for the past 10 years).

From what was disclosed - the murder was committed between he was 17 and 18.
It does take some time for him to be charged and sentenced (he might have appealed or not, which would only slow down the whole process).
So he might have been sentenced when he was 18
Given the gravity of the offence and given his age being close to 18 years, he was most likely sentenced as an adult (even if he was not yet 18 but close to be). Maybe the only help was that he was given lower range of penalty (how many years did he have to serve).
Also I can assume that such penalty was at least 1 year prison.
So most likely he was still in prison when he turned 18.
Now one of the requirements is to disclose your personal history past 10 years or since you were 18 (whichever is shorter). So he would have to disclose that he was in prison.
Which will lead to more explanation regarding his past sentence.

I can also assume, that such type of criminal act when committed close to adulthood (being almost adult), will be regarded as if an adult did commit the crime with all the consequences.

If ever he can immigrate is still hard to say, however if such criminal act would translate in Canada for 10+ years in prison, that would lead into lifetime inadmissibility, regardless if the act was concealed or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: scylla

LifeDreamer

Feb 14, 2018
@Mort Sinclair I would agree with you analysis if one were to just visit or stay in Canada temporarily. However for someone intending to move to Canada and someday become a Canadian, a lie in his or her application will continue to have the potential to affect one's citizenship no matter how old the person gets. It will be as if the citizenship is devalued by that lie.

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
@Mort Sinclair I would agree with you analysis if one were to just visit or stay in Canada temporarily. However for someone intending to move to Canada and someday become a Canadian, a lie in his or her application will continue to have the potential to affect one's citizenship no matter how old the person gets. It will be as if the citizenship is devalued by that lie.
The stakes are high. I previously advocated for telling the truth no matter what. I was only pointing out the possible outcomes for withholding information versus complete disclosure. As you note, if they decided down the line that he lied on his applications, then I imagine any citizenship, never mind permanent residency, would be revoked.