+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving my belongings to Canada

julia.a3456

Jul 28, 2015
Hi everyone,

I completed landing in Canada previously and during that time I prepared my accompanying goods and goods to follow form however they were not stamped in the airport and I was told that I can only do that when I move permanently.

Now I am going to move permanently and I read online that if the forms are not stamped the first time, they will never get stamped. Did anyone experience this before? I am now only taking my personal belongings as accompanying goods, nothing will be shipped afterwards. Is there a limit of the number of bags I bring along? and if I don't get the form stamped will I pay the taxes in the airport or how does it work?

Please help.

Thanks

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
Now I am going to move permanently and I read online that if the forms are not stamped the first time, they will never get stamped. Did anyone experience this before?
This is not correct. You need to get GTA and GTF stamped only before you are moving to Canada as a settler. At CBSA checkpoint/POE you will tell CBSA agent that in your last visit you were visiting Canada without any intentions of settling down and your GTA/GTF were not stamped. Now you are moving as a settler with intention of residing in Canada and you are entitled to move your stuff duty free. CBSA agent will understand.

To be on safe, please take print out of below webpage and highlight point 10 with a marker.

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Reactions: Jakev

julia.a3456

Jul 28, 2015
This is not correct. You need to get GTA and GTF stamped only before you are moving to Canada as a settler. At CBSA checkpoint/POE you will tell CBSA agent that in your last visit you were visiting Canada without any intentions of settling down and your GTA/GTF were not stamped. Now you are moving as a settler with intention of residing in Canada and you are entitled to move your stuff duty free. CBSA agent will understand.

To be on safe, please take print out of below webpage and highlight point 10 with a marker.

thank you very much. this is very helpful. If I don't intend to have any goods to follow, do I still need to get an accompanying goods form stamped?or I must do that since I will have more luggage than usual?

APPNOV2014NY

VIP Member
Nov 21, 2014
thank you very much. this is very helpful. If I don't intend to have any goods to follow, do I still need to get an accompanying goods form stamped?or I must do that since I will have more luggage than usual?
Many times CBSA agents do not care about GTA but you should still prepare it in case CBSA agent wants to review the inventory. If you are moving jewelry OR importing car then you should definitely prepare GTA.

toro345

Aug 25, 2018

Hi , With regards to the above , for a short landing , i don't require to declare the clothes and other electronics that I am carrying ?

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Hi there, quick question,

I am currently in the midst of shipping my personal items to Canada. Just wondering for the Personal Effects Document form, I'm entering as a settler even though I am a PR and have entered Canada a few times for short periods, what date should I put for this section:

I am entering Canada with the intention of establishing, for the first time, a permanent residence for a period in excess of 12 months and I arrived in Canada on______

Should it be the date I first landed, or the date that I am planning to arrive in Canada?

Thank you!

pxlxyp

Star Member
Oct 15, 2018
Thank you! And this form will be sent away with my boxes right? Do I need to hold on to a copy of this form at all when I land in Canada?

Hurlabrick

Champion Member
Sep 4, 2016
Ottawa, ON
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
23-06-2016
AOR Received.
12-07-2016
File Transfer...
23-08-2016