+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving my belongings from US to Canada

Oct 19, 2017
Hello everyone,
My husband and I just got approved (PR) and we are doing our landing at the end of this month. We are currently in India and flying out from Bangalore to Toronto. I was working in the US and have left some personal belongings in a friend's garage in MN, which I want to move once we have landed. I looked up quotes from moving companies and the starting price range itself is for moving items from a small studio apartment (1 truck I believe). However, I do not have goods to fill an entire truck; I sold all of my furniture and pretty much all other household items and retained only a few things that have sentimental values. All of my boxes would easily fit into an SUV with space to spare.

My question is -- what is the easiest and most economical option for me to move my belongings from Minneapolis to Toronto?

I appreciate any and all input!

Thanks and best regards,
Canadahopeful27

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
UHaul offers U-pack pods now but seem to be pricey.
You could always go on a roadtrip and pick it up yourself. You'd just need to factor in gas and hotels
You could have your friend get a quote from UPS or FedEx to see how much it would cost to ship it.

Make sure all these items in MN are on your Goods to Follow list if you land in Canada first without them.

kynno

Star Member
Feb 8, 2017
USA
NOC Code......
If I understand it right, you are currently in Bangalore. If so, If you still have a US visa, instead of flying into Toronto, fly into Minneapolis, rent an SUV, go to your friend's house to pick up your stuff and take a road trip from MN to Toronto. You'll complete your landing with all of your stuff....at least, that's what I would do.

If the above will not work for you, then either have your items boxed up and shipped to you via UPS or FedEx (this could get expensive) or do the road trip (if you can enter the US) to come get your stuff. As Jordo stated, you'll probably want to make sure those items are on the list of goods to follow.

Reactions: canadahopeful27
Oct 19, 2017
UHaul offers U-pack pods now but seem to be pricey.
You could always go on a roadtrip and pick it up yourself. You'd just need to factor in gas and hotels
You could have your friend get a quote from UPS or FedEx to see how much it would cost to ship it.

Make sure all these items in MN are on your Goods to Follow list if you land in Canada first without them.
Thank you, I think I will try the UPS option. I tried to get a price estimate and it seems that it might be a little cheaper than a road trip (especially considering we do not have our own car). I am trying to compile a complete list but I have to do it from memory as I packed and stored everything in April 2017 before I moved back to India. How detailed would you say the list needs to be? Do I have to include even the minutest item (paperclips, printing paper, and staples in "Office supplies" category, for instance)?

Oct 19, 2017
If I understand it right, you are currently in Bangalore. If so, If you still have a US visa, instead of flying into Toronto, fly into Minneapolis, rent an SUV, go to your friend's house to pick up your stuff and take a road trip from MN to Toronto. You'll complete your landing with all of your stuff....at least, that's what I would do.

If the above will not work for you, then either have your items boxed up and shipped to you via UPS or FedEx (this could get expensive) or do the road trip (if you can enter the US) to come get your stuff. As Jordo stated, you'll probably want to make sure those items are on the list of goods to follow.
Husband and I got our US visit visas, but we have already booked our flight tickets to Toronto and are planning on doing our landing on Feb 28. I think we will try the UPS option. Thank you for your reply.

jordo

Apr 27, 2014
Regina, SK
I wondered the same and emailed the Canada border services agency and got the following reply.
---
Hello
For an overview of the laws, restrictions, and entitlements that affect people intending to settle in Canada we encourage you to consult our publication entitled Immigrating or Returning to Live in Canada, found at:

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html

(Please note that although the publication has been archived, the information is still relevant)

A settler describes all who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months.

Before you settle in Canada, you must prepare two copies of a list, preferably typed, detailing all household and personal goods you are bringing into the country. Your list should describe the goods, giving such details as the value, make, model, and serial number of each item, particularly high-value items. Please note that we require the current value of goods, not the replacement value. The list should be divided into two parts, showing which items are accompanying the owner at the time of arrival and which items are to arrive at a later date as “goods to follow.”

For general household items such as books or clothing, a group listing and overall value is sufficient (e.g., kitchen utensils – $000). Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by the jeweller or a gemologist. This information makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later if you return from a trip abroad with this jewellery.

When you arrive in Canada you will have to give your list of goods to the border services officer, even if you do not have the goods with you at the time. Based on the list of goods you submit the officer will complete Form B4 or BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to your B4 or BSF186 form, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of the form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive.

Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, provides information about the B4 or BSF186 forms for people settling in Canada. It can be found at:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” at any time after you have made a selection of either English or French.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

---

Reactions: astraldust

i_luv_cannata

Sep 26, 2017
I wondered the same and emailed the Canada border services agency and got the following reply.
---
Hello
For an overview of the laws, restrictions, and entitlements that affect people intending to settle in Canada we encourage you to consult our publication entitled Immigrating or Returning to Live in Canada, found at:

http://cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5113-eng.html

(Please note that although the publication has been archived, the information is still relevant)

A settler describes all who enter Canada with the intention of establishing a residence for the first time and for a period of not less than 12 months.

Before you settle in Canada, you must prepare two copies of a list, preferably typed, detailing all household and personal goods you are bringing into the country. Your list should describe the goods, giving such details as the value, make, model, and serial number of each item, particularly high-value items. Please note that we require the current value of goods, not the replacement value. The list should be divided into two parts, showing which items are accompanying the owner at the time of arrival and which items are to arrive at a later date as “goods to follow.”

For general household items such as books or clothing, a group listing and overall value is sufficient (e.g., kitchen utensils – $000). Since jewellery is difficult to describe accurately, it is best to use the wording from your insurance policy or jeweller's appraisal and to include photographs that have been dated and signed by the jeweller or a gemologist. This information makes it easier to identify the jewellery when you first enter Canada, and later if you return from a trip abroad with this jewellery.

When you arrive in Canada you will have to give your list of goods to the border services officer, even if you do not have the goods with you at the time. Based on the list of goods you submit the officer will complete Form B4 or BSF186, Personal Effects Accounting Document, for you, assign a file number to your B4 or BSF186 form, and give you a copy of the completed form as a receipt. You will need to present your copy of the form to claim free importation of your unaccompanied goods when they arrive.

Memorandum D2-2-1, Settlers' Effects - Tariff Item No. 9807.00.00, provides information about the B4 or BSF186 forms for people settling in Canada. It can be found at:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

Should you require additional assistance with your inquiry, we recommend that you contact the Border Information Service (BIS). You can access the BIS line free of charge throughout Canada by calling 1-800-461-9999. If you are calling from outside Canada, you can access the BIS line by calling either 204-983-3500 or 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges will apply). If you call during regular business hours (8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Monday to Friday, except holidays), you can speak to an officer by pressing “0” at any time after you have made a selection of either English or French.

Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

---
Thanks for quoting the CBSA article. Very informative. In the case where I'm using a shipping company like U-Haul U-Box, will the border services officer complete all the forms and hand them to the truck driver? And when I pick up the goods at my destination, will I get the forms from U-Haul?

Wilyote

Apr 25, 2021
I'd try to have everything shipped if it's not too much stuff. If you're talking furniture and a decent amount of belongings, you may not have much choice but to hire a mover. I've heard of plenty of movers that are willing to move less than an apartment full of items, but it may depend on if they're already going that way for someone else. You might try Three Men And A Truck - they've been the cheapest in my experience and they operate between the U.S. and Canada frequently. Good luck!