+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from US to Canada as a foreign worker (none PR)

littleelsa

Mar 17, 2020
I just want to see if anyone who previously worked in the US on H visa finally moved to Canada on work permit without getting PR through EE first.
My understanding is that one needs to do the following
find a job in Canada --> employer sponsor the work permit --> get work permit --> get work visa --> go to Canada and work.

Does anyone know how long it will take to get work permit and work visa?
Is the LMIA specific to each job? (i.e. a firm has to have LMIA for each single job if they want to hire a foreigner or one LMIA can be used for multiple jobs for a single employer?)
Based on your knowledge, is it gonna be easy, fair or hard?

I have about 3 year experience and wondering if above plan is feasible. Please advise.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I just want to see if anyone who previously worked in the US on H visa finally moved to Canada on work permit without getting PR through EE first.
find a job in Canada --> employer sponsor the work permit --> get work permit --> get work visa --> go to Canada and work.

Is the LMIA specific to each job? (i.e. a firm has to have LMIA for each single job if they want to hire a foreigner or one LMIA can be used for multiple jobs for a single employer?)

I have about 3 year experience and wondering if above plan is feasible. Please advise.
Yes, you would need to secure a job offer in Canada and your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA. It's generally very difficult to find employers willing to go through this process. You should count on the LMIA process taking around 4-6 months end to end for the employer to complete.

Yes - LMIAs are specific to each job. The employer will need to get an approved LMIA specifically for you.

littleelsa

Mar 17, 2020
Yes, you would need to secure a job offer in Canada and your employer would need to obtain an approved LMIA. It's generally very difficult to find employers willing to go through this process. You should count on the LMIA process taking around 4-6 months end to end for the employer to complete.

Yes - LMIAs are specific to each job. The employer will need to get an approved LMIA specifically for you.
Thanks for the information!

Nick1233

Star Member
Dec 16, 2019

Based on your knowledge, is it gonna be easy, fair or hard?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/check-processing-times.html