+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving from Michigan to Windsor

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Hello harirajmohan sir and All,

I have few questions, please clarify it.

1. Next month I am planning to move permanently from Michigan to Windsor. Right now my work from home is going on till end of this year. My question is I don't have valid H1B visa stamping on passport but I have valid I-797 and I-94 till August 2022.Since US consulates are not accepting H1B visa appointments till 31 DEC according to new law, let say my office will start within couple of months, then How I can travel to USA? Can I use AVR regularly if I daily commute from Windsor to Michigan?

2. Let say my work from home is continue till end of this year, in this situation, do I need to travel once in a month to USA in order to maintain AVR??

3. Once I am moving permanently to Windsor, Do I need to carry any address in USA?

4. Do I need to change driving license immediately after moving to Windsor or I can keep USA driving license?

5. I sold out my car in USA and planning to buy in Canada, So, can I driving on USA driver license??

6. Can I apply nexus card or I have to wait some time?

7. Once I move permanently, So my payroll will generate on which address USA or Canada?? Since I don't have any USA address, so how my employer will run my payroll??

8. Can I use AVR for daily commute from Windsor to Michigan as USA consulates will not accepting H1B visa appointments till 31 Dec?

9. Since these days, PR card will take more then 100 days, Can I daily commute to Canada on COPR??

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hello harirajmohan sir and All,

I have few questions, please clarify it.

1. Next month I am planning to move permanently from Michigan to Windsor. Right now my work from home is going on till end of this year. My question is I don't have valid H1B visa stamping on passport but I have valid I-797 and I-94 till August 2022.Since US consulates are not accepting H1B visa appointments till 31 DEC according to new law, let say my office will start within couple of months, then How I can travel to USA? Can I use AVR regularly if I daily commute from Windsor to Michigan?

2. Let say my work from home is continue till end of this year, in this situation, do I need to travel once in a month to USA in order to maintain AVR??

3. Once I am moving permanently to Windsor, Do I need to carry any address in USA?

4. Do I need to change driving license immediately after moving to Windsor or I can keep USA driving license?

5. I sold out my car in USA and planning to buy in Canada, So, can I driving on USA driver license??

6. Can I apply nexus card or I have to wait some time?

7. Once I move permanently, So my payroll will generate on which address USA or Canada?? Since I don't have any USA address, so how my employer will run my payroll??

8. Can I use AVR for daily commute from Windsor to Michigan as USA consulates will not accepting H1B visa appointments till 31 Dec?

9. Since these days, PR card will take more then 100 days, Can I daily commute to Canada on COPR??
1. Even though you are eligible to get the stamping done, you should really maintain status till your stamping interview date by entering US every few weeks(every 30 days with your current I94). Because we never know when the consulates will open. Canada officers are still saying that they wont open currently even when we other offices in other countries have opened/notified on opening.
2. Yes without fail.
3. No. But you might need your friend's/relative's address based on your answer for #7.
4. Not immediately. Also ontario is not urging people to change their expired licenses itself. So dont worry on it.
5. Per my understanding, if you buy in Canada you need car insurance in Canada and i believe that they wont give based on your US license. So its not the right time to switch over to Canada easily on license, car etc. Or may be some companies agree to provide insurance on US license but you should first enquire before you take a call during this pandemic(which had altered many normal things).
6. You dont need to wait till you move to Canada. Requirement is that you have travel documents for both countries and having necessity to travel across the border.
7. It depends on employer's payrolls system which may or may not accept Canadian address. Check with your HR.
8. Yes you can. Earlier they used to ask me every week (one or the other officer) on why i have not stamped, i used to tell that i have my appointment in few weeks/months but now its a different case which they too know hence you should be fine. Even if someone at border ask then tell that you have booked appointment and waiting for consulates to open in Canada.
9. Passport along with COPR is enough for travelling using your personal/rental car(except bus and other commercial vehicles).

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
1. Even though you are eligible to get the stamping done, you should really maintain status till your stamping interview date by entering US every few weeks(every 30 days with your current I94). Because we never know when the consulates will open. Canada officers are still saying that they wont open currently even when we other offices in other countries have opened/notified on opening.
2. Yes without fail.
3. No. But you might need your friend's/relative's address based on your answer for #7.
4. Not immediately. Also ontario is not urging people to change their expired licenses itself. So dont worry on it.
5. Per my understanding, if you buy in Canada you need car insurance in Canada and i believe that they wont give based on your US license. So its not the right time to switch over to Canada easily on license, car etc. Or may be some companies agree to provide insurance on US license but you should first enquire before you take a call during this pandemic(which had altered many normal things).
6. You dont need to wait till you move to Canada. Requirement is that you have travel documents for both countries and having necessity to travel across the border.
7. It depends on employer's payrolls system which may or may not accept Canadian address. Check with your HR.
8. Yes you can. Earlier they used to ask me every week (one or the other officer) on why i have not stamped, i used to tell that i have my appointment in few weeks/months but now its a different case which they too know hence you should be fine. Even if someone at border ask then tell that you have booked appointment and waiting for consulates to open in Canada.
9. Passport along with COPR is enough for travelling using your personal/rental car(except bus and other commercial vehicles).
Thanks for your answers Sir. Regarding point 9, It means I can go Windsor by Uhaul also....Right? Until my pr card will come, I can daily commute with passport and COPR on personal/rental car....Is this correct? One more thing Sir, regarding point 6, Is there any time limit I have to have stay in Canada before applying Nexus card and also is there any interview includes while applying nexus?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Thanks for your answers Sir. Regarding point 9, It means I can go Windsor by Uhaul also....Right? Until my pr card will come, I can daily commute with passport and COPR on personal/rental car....Is this correct?
Correct. You can travel daily(not time limit of how many months) just with passport and copr using personal/rental vehicle.
PR Card / PRTD/ Visa is just to get into the commercial vehicle. So your other documents such as passport is the one needed for immigration officer to verify identity. So you should be good with passport and copr.

canadapr1982

Jul 17, 2017
Correct. You can travel daily(not time limit of how many months) just with passport and copr using personal/rental vehicle.
PR Card / PRTD/ Visa is just to get into the commercial vehicle. So your other documents such as passport is the one needed for immigration officer to verify identity. So you should be good with passport and copr.
One more thing Sir, regarding point 6, Is there any time limit I have to have stay in Canada before applying Nexus card and also is there any interview includes while applying nexus?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........

peacefulpal

Star Member
Oct 24, 2020
Hi Everyone,

I'm living in the USA, received my COPR a couple of weeks back, and planning to travel by road through the Detroit-Windsor tunnel next week. We are prepared to do a 14-day quarantine instead of a soft landing as it depends on the officer and we do not want to take chances. Could someone please share your experience about the recent travel by road to stay in Windsor and returned back to the USA or navigate me to the related posts if someone already posted?

Thanks.

AjeyaGupta

Star Member
Aug 6, 2018
Hi all

This has been a very helpful thread to clarify a lot of things. I am also in similar situation and plan to move to Windsor in next 1 week.

1. I work for Michigan based employer and hence will need to travel from Windsor to MI on as need basis (whenever I need my lab access). I understand that currently essential travel from Canada to USA is allowed (e.g. ppl on H1B visa). If I travel to USA as an essential traveler, is there a requirment to return back to Canada the same day? Meaning, can I travel to USA (say on Friday) and return back to Canada on Monday? The reason i am asking is whether the US officer will ask what was I doing on Saturday, sunday if work office is open only on weekdays.

2. Regarding nexus card application, I have Canadian PRTD and have resided in USA for atleast 3 Years (per the application requirement). With this case, to which country should i apply nexus card? Like, I have a Permanent resident of Canada, but dont meet 3 years residency eligibility in Canada. Meaning, can I apply with meeting residency requirement in USA (hence showing us driver license and address proof) and meeting Permanent status in Canada? If yes, should I apply to the US side or to the Canadian side?

Thank you
Ajeya

Last edited:
Reactions: prican

prican

Jun 17, 2021
Hi All,

I am planning to move to Canada this fall ( my status - Canadian PR & H1b) and start living and commuting through either Niagara / Buffalo NY border or Windsor / Detroit border. I have few questions and need your help to clarify those -

1. I am planning to work remotely from Buffalo NY or Detroit surburbs for company based out IL. Would there be any question from CBP / USBP officer as
to why I am crossing border on a frequent basis as company is located in IL ?
2. Do I need to get visa stamping done to apply for Nexus card ? Is approved I-797 suffice ? Reason I am asking is because consulates are closed and
there is no way I can get it stamped right ?
3. If I can apply for Nexus Card on I 797, would it make sense to apply post approval of H1b amendment for Buffalo or Detroit (yet to file amendment,
currently have I-797 approval with LCA for IL) ?
4. Is there a separate thread for folks commuting to Niagara / Buffalo everyday ?

Thank you!

prican

Jun 17, 2021
Hi all

This has been a very helpful thread to clarify a lot of things. I am also in similar situation and plan to move to Windsor in next 1 week.

1. I work for Michigan based employer and hence will need to travel from Windsor to MI on as need basis (whenever I need my lab access). I understand that currently essential travel from Canada to USA is allowed (e.g. ppl on H1B visa). If I travel to USA as an essential traveler, is there a requirment to return back to Canada the same day? Meaning, can I travel to USA (say on Friday) and return back to Canada on Monday? The reason i am asking is whether the US officer will ask what was I doing on Saturday, sunday if work office is open only on weekdays.

2. Regarding nexus card application, I have Canadian PRTD and have resided in USA for atleast 3 Years (per the application requirement). With this case, to which country should i apply nexus card? Like, I have a Permanent resident of Canada, but dont meet 3 years residency eligibility in Canada. Meaning, can I apply with meeting residency requirement in USA (hence showing us driver license and address proof) and meeting Permanent status in Canada? If yes, should I apply to the US side or to the Canadian side?

Thank you
Ajeya
Hey Ajeeya,

Were you able to find answer to your questions ? Were you able to apply for NEXUS cards and get it approved ?

kayleegoodwin

Apr 11, 2024
Hello,

Moving from Michigan to Windsor sounds like an exciting journey ahead! Let me address your questions one by one:

1. Regarding your H1B visa situation, since US consulates are not accepting appointments until the end of the year, commuting daily from Windsor to Michigan using Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) could be a viable option. However, it's essential to stay updated on any changes or announcements from the authorities. Windsor Movers could assist you in making this transition smoother.
  2. If your work from home arrangement continues until the end of the year, traveling once a month to the USA might not be necessary to maintain AVR status. However, it's advisable to consult with an immigration expert for personalized guidance.
  3. Once you move permanently to Windsor, it's not mandatory to maintain an address in the USA. However, it's essential to update your address with relevant authorities and your employer as needed.
  4. As for your driving license, you can continue using your USA license for a certain period after moving to Windsor. However, it's advisable to check the specific regulations and requirements in Ontario and consider getting a Canadian license in due time. Windsor Movers can help you with any logistical support you may need during this transition.
  5. While you can initially drive in Canada with your USA driver's license, it's recommended to familiarize yourself with Canadian driving regulations and consider obtaining a Canadian license for long-term convenience and compliance.
  6. You can apply for a Nexus card whenever you meet the eligibility criteria, regardless of your recent move. It's a convenient option for frequent travelers between Canada and the USA.
  7. Once you move permanently to Windsor, your payroll should ideally be generated with your Canadian address. Communicate your new address to your employer for payroll purposes. Windsor Movers can assist you with any documentation or address-related queries during this transition.
  8. AVR for daily commute from Windsor to Michigan could be an option, considering the current visa appointment situation. However, it's crucial to stay informed about any changes or updates to immigration policies.
  9. While waiting for your PR card, commuting to Canada on a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) is possible. Ensure you have all necessary documentation and stay informed about any travel restrictions or requirements.
Overall, transitioning from Michigan to Windsor involves several logistical considerations, but with proper planning and assistance from Windsor Movers, you can navigate this process smoothly. Best of luck with your move!

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello,

Moving from Michigan to Windsor sounds like an exciting journey ahead! Let me address your questions one by one:

1. Regarding your H1B visa situation, since US consulates are not accepting appointments until the end of the year, commuting daily from Windsor to Michigan using Automatic Visa Revalidation (AVR) could be a viable option. However, it's essential to stay updated on any changes or announcements from the authorities. Windsor Movers could assist you in making this transition smoother.
  2. If your work from home arrangement continues until the end of the year, traveling once a month to the USA might not be necessary to maintain AVR status. However, it's advisable to consult with an immigration expert for personalized guidance.
  3. Once you move permanently to Windsor, it's not mandatory to maintain an address in the USA. However, it's essential to update your address with relevant authorities and your employer as needed.
  4. As for your driving license, you can continue using your USA license for a certain period after moving to Windsor. However, it's advisable to check the specific regulations and requirements in Ontario and consider getting a Canadian license in due time. Windsor Movers can help you with any logistical support you may need during this transition.
  5. While you can initially drive in Canada with your USA driver's license, it's recommended to familiarize yourself with Canadian driving regulations and consider obtaining a Canadian license for long-term convenience and compliance.
  6. You can apply for a Nexus card whenever you meet the eligibility criteria, regardless of your recent move. It's a convenient option for frequent travelers between Canada and the USA.
  7. Once you move permanently to Windsor, your payroll should ideally be generated with your Canadian address. Communicate your new address to your employer for payroll purposes. Windsor Movers can assist you with any documentation or address-related queries during this transition.
  8. AVR for daily commute from Windsor to Michigan could be an option, considering the current visa appointment situation. However, it's crucial to stay informed about any changes or updates to immigration policies.
  9. While waiting for your PR card, commuting to Canada on a Confirmation of Permanent Residence (COPR) is possible. Ensure you have all necessary documentation and stay informed about any travel restrictions or requirements.
Overall, transitioning from Michigan to Windsor involves several logistical considerations, but with proper planning and assistance from Windsor Movers, you can navigate this process smoothly. Best of luck with your move!
Christ on a stick
Knock it off with the hidden spam

Jesus would not be pleased