+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Moving Companies - From USA to Calgary

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
Friends,

I am planning to move from USA to Calgary in the month of April or May; and would like to know which moving companies you have used for moving your stuff and how much did it cost? I cannot use UHaul because of the distance and travel time (approx. 32 hours travel time).

Friends, who moved from USA - amikety, ottawa_girl, emceemouli, and other friends: please share your experiences and advise.

Thank you in advance.

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Ah, thanks for listing me.

I didn't move any furniture or household items. I owned very few after my divorce and gave those away to my brother and sister-in-law that just got married.

I have seen the trucks for "North American" moving company (blue and white semi trucks) around, but not sure if they are any good.

Sorry I can't be more help!

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
amikety said:
Ah, thanks for listing me.

I didn't move any furniture or household items. I owned very few after my divorce and gave those away to my brother and sister-in-law that just got married.

I have seen the trucks for "North American" moving company (blue and white semi trucks) around, but not sure if they are any good.

Sorry I can't be more help!
amikety, that's completely fine. Thank you for your response. I will find details about North American moving company.

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
canadapr98 said:
amikety, that's completely fine. Thank you for your response. I will find details about North American moving company.
I used Delta Van lines....Good Service...Absolutely No damage and was cost effective....Took approximately 7-10 days... from baltimore to Calgary...

I had insured my stuff for additional 350$ just to be on the safer side as I had some valuable goods like 46 inch LED TV etc...

Thanks
Chandra

canadapr98

Star Member
Aug 22, 2012
Hi Chadra,

Thanks for your response. I have looked at their website, they have very good reviews. I will try calling them soon.

bkd1969

May 1, 2011
emceemouli said:
I used Delta Van lines....Good Service...Absolutely No damage and was cost effective....Took approximately 7-10 days... from baltimore to Calgary...

I had insured my stuff for additional 350$ just to be on the safer side as I had some valuable goods like 46 inch LED TV etc...

Thanks
Chandra
how big the stuff you asked them to move, 1 truck load? and how much you pay total? making sense compared to the value of stuff you asked them to move?

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bkd1969 said:
how big the stuff you asked them to move, 1 truck load? and how much you pay total? making sense compared to the value of stuff you asked them to move?
Another piece of advice...Dont bring any old Furniture, couch etc...bring only valuable goods that are expensive and light weight as most of the moving companies charge by weight...I know its tough to part with the goods that we have used for a while but thats the fact..Its cost effective if you sell that those and buy a new one here..

Thanks
Chandra

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
emceemouli said:
Another piece of advice...Dont bring any old Furniture, couch etc...bring only valuable goods that are expensive and light weight as most of the moving companies charge by weight...I know its tough to part with the goods that we have used for a while but thats the fact..Its cost effective if you sell that those and buy a new one here..

Thanks
Chandra
I disagree. There's nothing wrong with bringing old furniture. They don't have to be expensive and light weight. Sometimes things are not available in Canada and people might need to bring them from their previous home.

emceemouli

Aug 7, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
steaky said:
I disagree. There's nothing wrong with bringing old furniture. They don't have to be expensive and light weight. Sometimes things are not available in Canada and people might need to bring them from their previous home.
It depends...It was based on my experience who decided not to part away with old furniture which increased my moving cost .... Thats why I specifically mentioned if its valuable to you bring it else sell it...

Or if you choose a mover who charges you by the amount of space you can keep it else if its by weight not worth it...just based on my experience..opinions may differ...

Thanks
Chandra

WaterDad

Star Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo/Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2012
AOR Received.
31-07-2012
Med's Done....
21-03-2012
Passport Req..
19-10-2012
VISA ISSUED...
Decision Made-- 01/12/2012
I started here---> www.movingscam.com

They have reviews of international movers. We ended up going with Atlas Van Lines. They sell unused space on their semi-trucks for moving.

Now as for weight charges, they charged us $0.60 US per pound to ship our stuff. So for example say our couch, weighs about 100 lbs give or take. That is $60 to move it. I will not go through the hassle of selling here, then having to re-buy in Canada, just to save $60.

So as for selling then re-buying in Canada as the other poster mentioned, do the math first and see if your situation warrants shipping it or selling it.

Edit-- Forgot to add, From CA to Manitoba ~$8000 including packing and loading.